Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Our Wonderful Trees

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Our Wonderful Trees

Post by Geoff »

nafets wrote:I was just wondering how you record your rain with huge trees like that blocking it out?
No problem Stefan, we are on 5 acres up here and all our big trees are a long way from our house (thankfully!), so the raingauge is not affected at all.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Daz, i was talking about Mount Erica. I see its just protected, the south face of Baw Baw around the Thompson dam looks to be extensively logged (by looking at google maps).
Go the bombersss!
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: June 1-5 Low- rain

Post by Sean »

Geoff » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 pm wrote:
Geoff wrote:Righto, just been out in the garden to photograph our daughters by our BIG Mountain Ash tree.
P6100257-Optimized-2.jpg
I put an 8 metre tape measure around the trunk at their head height without going into the curves, and it was nearly 2 metres too short, so it must be about 10 metres around!

(Perhaps we should get out of this weather thread and make a new one for things like this?)

Huge!

But I've seen bigger. Forgot what it's called, but there's a massive one on Tasmania.

As you walk down the trail you keep thinking 'sh*t it's that one, it's huge!' but then you get to the end of the trail and O M G... The girth of it is amazing.

I reckon out ash's grow taller than the american sequoia.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Lol, but have you seen bigger than this Sean???...
California Tree, Yosemite USA.jpg
California Tree, Yosemite USA.jpg (240.29 KiB) Viewed 11574 times
My wife and our daughters on the "road" through this giant Sequoia in 2005.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Awesome Geoff. That would have been wonderful to experience :P
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

At last! I've been trying to find an image of the Dandenongs from a century ago, and it's been really difficult as most seem to be encrypted and unreproducable (is that a word?) Anyway here's one from around 1900 which shows how denuded of trees it was up here in those days (click on the image for fullsize)...
Dandenong Ranges c1900..jpg
Dandenong Ranges c1900..jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Great you got that one Geoff. There are plenty of old photos in my doctors waiting room, a whole history of the Dandenongs but yes not too easy to find online. Well done!!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: June 1-5 Low- rain

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Rivergirl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:46 pm wrote:
Rivergirl wrote:You're so lucky to have that tree which has obviously survived the logging in your beautiful garden Geoff. I must have a look at it next time I'm over
Sooooooooooooo I have finally caught up on this thread after weeks of busyness and I am a little obsessed with trees. I always wanted a mountain ash in my garden, trust me I tried growing them lol!, but it never worked out.

I must come and see the giant mountain ash tree in the garden!!! I have got to visit and see if it is taller than me,

Love the other pictures too. That gummy near Erica is enormous!!

The plains gum that James posted, is lovely as well. Nice and robust!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

will have to have a read and refresher of this thread, thanks Ben..