Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

South West WA, Storms 21/3 - ?

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
D
David
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: South West WA, Storms 21/3 - ?

Post by David »

18mm in 6 minutes in Perth with that second storm.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Just had a call from my brother who is in Perth on business - his rental car has been smashed with large hail, the centre he was at has had sections of its roof collapse and there is flash flooding. Doesn't sound too good :sccary:

Rog.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Woah, again? Hope your home is ok John :|

P.S. Oz/TU (Not sure if you're a member on WA forum?), tell the guys some great shots in there :D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Insurance companies are going to be spewing = Melbourne, Whitsundays, now Perth :o
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

My husband's involved indirectly in the car industry, he knows that dealer. Looks like Melbourne over there! Jeez, Oz, I was wishing for storms but not for this for you guys :| Looks like there's plenty more on their way, too.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Swanbourne's recorded 45mm in two hours, 17mm in 17 minutes :o Perth's obs show 35.4mm, around 30mm in just over an hour. Perth radar doesn't look as intense as I would have expected for such big storms though?
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ah, ok, that would explain it then - I thought it looked a bit tame! This was just posted on the WA forum:

Chaser80
Post subject: Re: Mad March Meteorological Mayhem with Maximum Miniscule RainPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:16 pm
OK whoa! so who wants to hear how much rain i got? 68.6mm from the first lot, and another 32mm from the second lot. OMFG, that is all.
Wowsers, that's some serious rain!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Awww, some kudos for you, John! That's nice :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Unreal footage from the WA boys!! I love that it has happened in places other than Sydney and Brisbane. They have had shocking storm season!!

Areas of rain and thunderstorms to continue overnight with falls up to 50mm.

Should be storms inland for the remainder of the week.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Hey all! not chasing atm back home having tea with wife ;) might pop out soon to trigg beach to get some lightning. though looks like most of it is inland and heading S/SE. It was a swell time being out at Badgingarra, thought the outflow was strong! amazing to see the 117km/h, felt like it! lol.

Thanks to John and Karl for input and updates deff. helped a sod like me today! :D

Hey Ozzie could you ask Paul Natale on the WA forum whether he saw a black honda crx around badgingarra today? lol
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

This one with close flang :)

Pause at 55sec and you can see CG reflection off the red commodore. :thumbsup:
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Welcome home Brayden!! I hope you have some awesome footage!!!

It was a fantastic day for you there and a good taste of what we copped 3 weeks back!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
T
Thunderstruck
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Thunderstruck »

This mornings trace was conducive to 4-6cm and I warned my mates there of the likelyhood. Greg copped 1.5inch hail on way to work from the first cell and my mate messaged me to say he had 2inch hail from the second HP monster line. Was a beauty, exhibited nice bowing on the radar (as crap as Perth radar is). Cold mids, strong shear, right quadrant exit it had it all. Amazing setup. The fact they had 2 golf ball+ hail producing supercells says it all, very impressive and something you wouldn't expect everyday from Perth, although WA in my opinion are home to some of Australias most powerful thunderstorms. Another friend who is a forecaster there called me to say he saw a park bench get obliterated by a CG 10m in front of him and had a second strike just as close not long after. Felt the heat and everything and now is stuck on the foreshore in Perth with water up to his car door. Impressive stuff, no doubt will hear more on this one.

TS :cool:
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

John, I agree. Looks very dangerous.

check this one out LOL well not funny for the people who got damage, but the commentary is good.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Have you got a link to what you're looking at (sorry if that's an obvious question!)?
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

hey people, didn't go out to get lightning shots due to cells being east and south of us and moving away. been sorting through pics and got one vid. I will give you the vid for the moment. I thought i did one as it came over but I can't find it! doh! Ah well I have one at least and some pics. Got to do up a pano. so will be posting pics tommorow.

"I lycra like that"
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

brayden wrote:hey people, didn't go out to get lightning shots due to cells being east and south of us and moving away. been sorting through pics and got one vid. I will give you the vid for the moment. I thought i did one as it came over but I can't find it! doh! Ah well I have one at least and some pics. Got to do up a pano. so will be posting pics tommorow.

holey crap, how was the rotation in that wall cloud :sccary:

The colour is pretty awesome too - great vid!!!

Rog.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Wow, some amazing footage and photo's around. If you get a chance have a browse through the WAweather forum, there are some amazing shots in there from Paul, and Stormygirl! Absolutely amazing!!!

Check this page out for amature photographs as well... gota love Facebook. haha

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 513?ref=ts
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Hey champs, woke up around 3.30am and I guess not just from thunder! :p small cell didn't last long, but couldn't get back to sleep. So I thought I would start uploading pics and do the chase report.

Thanks again to John and Karl for helping me during the chase ;)

So headed off towards Badgingarra around 10am. I know where the heck is that? For those who want to know: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 31842&z=10
About a 2 hr and 50min drive north on the No. 1 Brand Hwy.

About 1/2 hr out saw this cell developing to the south, which I think may have been the first cell that hit Perth? (reference from WA forum that there was two cells that went through, the second one being the HP monster Badgingarra cell).

As i got to Badgingarra, I could see the cell to the north. Originally I was thinking of going to Jurien Bay. I got onto the road to there but stopped about 1/4? of the way lol. Some mammatus was forming:

Also a skinny tower

It was a little bit hilly and the scrubery would get annoying at times! lol Don't get the gaps to look through like with trees. Anvil was wetting me as well, had to backtrack. So finally got a spot to see the shelf cloud and noticed that maybe I got a gustanado? The lens was fully extended to 200mm

^ Sorry about the quality and the powerline in the way grrr lol

And so it got closer:

And closer, but that will have to be for part 2 of this report! lol coming soonish champs
"I lycra like that"
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Awesome pics! Must of been someting to see it unfold in front of you. The second pic is amazing - looks like an atomic bomb has just gone off!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!