Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Hobart/TAS: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Tasmania Day to Day Weather

Post by Rivergirl »

You sure are having warm weather over there Tassie Dave. My sister was complaining about it today
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Photos of sunset over the Huon valley taken by my sister, last night on a point and shoot straight from the camera

T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Great pics Rivergirl! Thanks for posting. Rain at last in Tassie, highest so far being 46mm at Mt Victoria in the north east. 23 mm here in Grindelwald. Still warm and muggy and 21 degrees. North wind blowing and misty and drizzling. Hot yesterday with Ouse (pronounced ooze) reaching 36 degrees.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

19 degrees today in Launceston, our first max under 20 for quite a while! Hobart reached only 14 degrees at 5 pm. Southport in the far South of the state had 75mm until 9 am. Further rain expected Sunday!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

My brother in law near Huonville said he's never going to complain about the rain again after the last few days you've had. It's the same temperature here today up in the Dandenongs in Melbourne. Bit different to yesterday
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Some decent falls of rain in the north of the state here last night. 22mm here at Grindelwald falling between 2 pm and 10 pm. Frankford a small town 25 km north of here at about 400m elevation received 42 mm. Mt Read on the west coast topped the state with 62 mm. Much cooler here today and only 20 degrees. Watching carefully whether an East Coast Low develops this weekend.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Steady rain falling at the moment. BOM's new forecast just issued was "Isolated Showers" for this evening which is a bit off target.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

38 degrees forecast for Hobart tomorrow and 32 for Launceston. These are very high temperatures for late February in Tassie. There is a total fire ban in the South tomorrow.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi TassieDAve. Yep I was just saying in the other thread that my niece is flying over from Hobart tomorrow. Will be weird having 38 deg C in Hobart and Melbourne.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Wow 38.7 in Hobart today, higher than Melbourne, Horsham and Mildura!! A serious fire developed in the Derwent Valley at Meadowbank. 31 degrees up here in Launceston, not a cloud to be seen all day and a stiff Northerly breeze. 37 forecast for Hobart tomorrow and if reached will be the third time in history Hobart has recorded two consecutive days of 37 or greater!
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Incredible stuff Dave, must be a shock to the system for the Taswegians ;) . Actually heading to Hobart on Tuesday for a few days with work, looking a bit more normal by then - sub 20's and occasional rain - that's more like it!!
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Boring week so far weather wise in Northern Tassie, no rain! We were due to get rain all weekend but the BOM has backed off and now says it will develop tomorrow night and be gone by Sunday.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

From my brother in law in Huonville. Earlier in the week when I had sent him the AWF's predictions he said that Elders said nothing like that at all lol
Well we have our first snow fall for 2012. In a break in the weather at 1.30 this afternoon we could see a dusting of snow on the top of all ridges around the valley and all over the north face of
Mt. Misery.

This is so surprising considering the huge dump of rain over the last 24 hours. Except for two breaks today, it has been blowing rain ever since dinner time last night. And of course, with the winds here, the rain hits the house on all four sides.

We made sure that Jenny took the four wheel drive to Hobart this morning.I am betting that she had some drama going over the mountain pass. Maybe we should upgrade the tyres on the x trail if this is going to be typical of this years winter.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Yes! love this weather so much. Spotted a bit of snow up at Buller and Hotham, but look at how much there is at Mawsosn:

http://ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/tas/mawson1.html
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Awesome! Thanks Chris, have sent the link to my sis and brother in law
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

noticed flinders Island had road weather alert today due to snow.
heading there under 2 weeks..

top of 9 today..
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Shell I hope it's not snowing then but that the sky is filled with beautiful auroras :)
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Fierce storm in Northern Tasmania last night. It hit around 9.00 pm with heavy rain and continuous lightning and thunder. The locals are quite excited as although such storms are a dime a dozen in other parts of Australia they are very rare here. 17mm in the gauge.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Sounds awesome Dave!!

How's the wind been the last few days? It's been blowing a gale here at home and I was wondering how much Tassie was copping it!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Just back from Flinders Island..
Wow.. did we get every season in one week.
full Moon, Milky way. Black clouds, no clouds, thunder and bolts and 98klm winds and also no winds.
What a place.. would recomend to anyone.. specially those that love wild life..