Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Becoming hot then rain and storms: Dec 13-20

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Becoming hot then rain and storms: Dec 13-20

Post by Mike »

One rumble on approach and a coupe of attempts at heavy rain totalling 0.5mm. Some big booms to the east as we are now in bright steamy sunlight
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

certainly not the amount of storms in a line that was being spoken about going to happen.

its been hot and steamy here with some storms developing in the distance to the east but otherwise nothing at all here.

The blow off from the anvil seems to be covering us now though as the sun has gone behind it
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Occasional pea-sized hail and heavy rain here in Box Hill for 15 minutes. I’m sure areas a few km north of us would have gotten smashed.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Booming thunder here. Big drops and pea size hail. Just starting. Hoping for a solid garden watering :D
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Rain starting here, by the radar hoping for heavier even if only briefly to come. A few claps of thunder but not close.
p
phunkster
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by phunkster »

James wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:17 pm certainly not the amount of storms in a line that was being spoken about going to happen.

its been hot and steamy here with some storms developing in the distance to the east but otherwise nothing at all here.

The blow off from the anvil seems to be covering us now though as the sun has gone behind it
How about now? ;)
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Cracking storm, though wasn’t very wide so falls aren’t that great. Just shy of 7mm here. Still, good drink for the garden and drizzle tonight should about double that.

Some really good thunder and quite a bit of pea size hail. Happy for it not to get too large ;)

Couple of spots to my northwest showing 15-20mm so must have been some heavier elements in the band.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

boy did i get more than i bargained for!!

was watching the rain approaching the the thunder getting increasingly closer, walked to the front door and looked out and noted a very odd electrical odour (funnily enough it reminded me of the smell of high voltage CRT's or other old equipment I work on!) before I had time to think more there was al almighty snap of air expanding and sense of the sound moving "away" from me rather than toward.

I know what they mean about it "nearly knocking you off your feet" as the shockwave sure felt like it. Odd thing was I saw nothing, no flash at all.

Still getting over it, and with that, as it always goes...the rain came down and there was nothing more other than distant rumbles and now clearing and sunlight and very humid!!

I have NO idea what it hit, where it hit, but it was incredibly close, power still on, internet on, no electrical damage.

That storm did pack more punch than I thought it would!!!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

I missed the best bit in the shower,
once I had to come inside I nearly cooked after gardening all day and all the dirt had stuck...
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

James wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:20 pm boy did i get more than i bargained for!!

was watching the rain approaching the the thunder getting increasingly closer, walked to the front door and looked out and noted a very odd electrical odour (funnily enough it reminded me of the smell of high voltage CRT's or other old equipment I work on!) before I had time to think more there was al almighty snap of air expanding and sense of the sound moving "away" from me rather than toward.

I know what they mean about it "nearly knocking you off your feet" as the shockwave sure felt like it. Odd thing was I saw nothing, no flash at all.

Still getting over it, and with that, as it always goes...the rain came down and there was nothing more other than distant rumbles and now clearing and sunlight and very humid!!

I have NO idea what it hit, where it hit, but it was incredibly close, power still on, internet on, no electrical damage.

That storm did pack more punch than I thought it would!!!

That’s amazing James :o
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

neighbours say they have no internet, so it was close!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Too far here... again
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

James wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:08 pm neighbours say they have no internet, so it was close!
Mine was out prior to storm as I tried my ipad outside.
Once I turned off and on I had internet..
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:42 pm
James wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:08 pm neighbours say they have no internet, so it was close!
Mine was out prior to storm as I tried my ipad outside.
Once I turned off and on I had internet..
the box in the pit is def fried as the link to it is no longer working whatever you do / reset, odd as the DPU box in the pit for my place is in the same put but different line strung to the house and different direction - but theirs is much longer - so it may have picked up more atmospheric discharge...so it fits my theory of it being close and where it hit is correct, but more on neighbours direction - worrying thing is they report one of them was out there checking the makeshift saucepan pot rain gauge and had just got inside when it happened...hmmmm ;)
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

No storms here, but boy has the drizzle set in
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Not a drop here :( Watched the storms form overhead and then drop rain to the east, so a bit annoying, but I guess that’s just the way the weather goes sometimes. Not even sure if we’ll get drizzle, as it seems to be happening in every direction but here! Maybe that will change later. Still, nice to read some of the storm reports, and sounding like quite a memorable experience for you James.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

We’ve lost the nbn also. Sounds petty widespread, going off social media. Had a couple of crack bangs which were close. Lucky the modem has 4g backup and we are only 100m line of sight to a tower.

Very very thick fog here now with heavy drizzle. Hoping it adds up :D
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

are there any archived lightning strike data websites? I checked one of them and it showed the nearby strokes some minutes before the big one here, but there is nothing recorded of the one I experience (I know they don't record all strokes) but still trying to get my head around what it actually hit and where?
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Nice drizzly night picked by EC. Just passed 12mm since 9am and falling thick outside :D Might well scrape 15 or 20mm before it winds up.

Monday and Tuesday suddenly starting to look like a quick follow up event. Icon, Aperge, UK and EC are now showing a solid system. Gfs not interest and CMC has been on and off. Would tend to back the majority of the models, but too soon to lock it in ;) Vic could do with a big state wide event as the start to summer has been pretty hit miss. Fingers crossed.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Finished on 21mm. Very happy.

EC, UK and ACCESS getting quite excited by Monday/Tuesday. Let's hope so.