Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Return of heat followed by possible rain and storms: January 20-30

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Return of heat followed by possible rain and storms: January 20-30

Post by snowfall »

Change came through here just after 3pm - now down to 26.5, thankfully. A couple of brief light showers in the past hour. More to come on the radar.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

snowfall wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:40 pm Change came through here just after 3pm - now down to 26.5, thankfully. A couple of brief light showers in the past hour. More to come on the radar.
Same wind shift made it to Woodend about 10 minutes ago. Pretty amazing bit of weather that given the distance. We have had a few showers in the last two hours , one seemed heavy for a few seconds but pretty dry atm.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas temps today: Hobart 37.5, Friendly Beaches 37.5, St Helens 36, Fingal 35, Wynyard 32.2, Launceston 31.6
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Gee the the wet season is kicking in to gear with the Coral sea in particular looking promising for more than one cyclone
The monsoon will make up for the slow start this season
Quite a wet night coming up
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Back in Ferny Creek after a couple of warm ones on the coast. Competely surprised me when the change went through Walkerville on about 11:30am. Was thinking perhaps 4pm. Trough was very broad and a bubble high developed in cooler air which I’d guess was a sea breeze that strengthened and became the prefrontal trough. The change proper is still over western Vic near the rain.

Expecting 20mm here overnight. Starting to need it after a hot week. Driving around things are still green from the Dandenongs through south Gippsland but drying now. This week should change that :D Areas out west must be pretty parched with only a mm or two in three weeks on some spots.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Mike wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm
snowfall wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:40 pm Change came through here just after 3pm - now down to 26.5, thankfully. A couple of brief light showers in the past hour. More to come on the radar.
Same wind shift made it to Woodend about 10 minutes ago. Pretty amazing bit of weather that given the distance. We have had a few showers in the last two hours , one seemed heavy for a few seconds but pretty dry atm.
Gosh it must have been working its way through very gradually. It’s often the case that the weather varies a lot across the Macedon Ranges even over short distances due to topography. North and south can sometimes seem like different worlds. Woodend should be fairly well placed for rain overnight, with it coming down from the north. These are the times when we run the risk of getting rain shadowed here, but I am hoping this will be less of an issue this time given the relatively light wind. Fingers crossed.

A very humid 21c here now.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Not Looking good for Rain tonight in the Ballarat area.
Raining lightly now but thinking less than 5mm by 9am tomorrow.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

That storm band just passed dropped a handy 14mm so far - going by the PWS. Will check manual gauge later. The lightning was mainly CC. Would have looked spectacular from a plane.

Edit: make that 21mm!
Last edited by Didjman on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Missed that solid band of storms that passed about 10km north/east of here, but scored a series of small cells which trained over the southern Dandenong. Just passed 13mm so far. Still raining steadily, despite the radar :?: Had a couple of rumbles in the last 10 minutes,

Patchy around here with weather stations showing mostly 10-13mm. Bit less to my east.

Waiting to see what develops ahead of the clearing. Those events can have a bit of a sting in the tail, so might crack 20mm yet.

Really hit miss around metro. Gauges out in the Yarra Valley showing locally more than 30mm, while area just west of the CBD less than 1mm.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

A big FAIL here with 1.6mm
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Just cracked another cell. Peak rainfall rate of 80mm/hr. Just on 20mm now. Happy - garden watered and tanks back to full :D Not sure why the local AWS is a few mms behind me, though might be legitimate as the nearest private gauge near it has just 13mm, so strong gradients. Up here in the Nongs, the topography really plays a bit part in recordings as do trees :? (lost of gauges are sheltered if the rain comes from the wrong direction). I tend to read high when it comes in from the northwest and low when it comes in from the southwest, while the local aws is the reverse.

One more band to come. Pretty patchy, but filling in through the eastern burbs. Few spots over 30mm 10km northeast of here. To my south and east drops away quite quickly.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

10.8mm here, including a few showers late yesterday evening. Just some light rain now, which looks to be clearing soon judging by the radar.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Still raining in FC, and city adding up nicely which is good given it’s been pretty lean there so far for the month. Was looking like a dud when I woke at 5:30, but now gone passed what I was expecting last night :D Bit patchy though, and another fail for much of north central.

Btw substantial second system showing up now for Friday and Saturday. Could well see widespread moderate to heavy falls. EC showing locally over 50mm, and perhaps more than 100mm in parts of the northeast. La Niña kicking into gear :?:
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Another massive fail. 4mm.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas rain last 24 hours: Pine Tree Rivulet 35mm, Meander 23mm,Strahan 23mm, Mt Barrow 15mm, Launceston 8.8mm, Hobart 4.4mm
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Like Hillybilly when I got up I was thinking it may also be a dud event, my AWS was showing just 0.6mm but now a much healthier 8.4mm. Tanks have been replenished and the garden adequately watered, said to the partner (in aged care) when I phoned her late last night that I had put off watering hoping that I would not have to do it, at 6am this morning I was thinking I would have to but now thankfully no.

Just need to remember that a rain event is not over until the last drop falls.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

8.5mm's here and 8.4mm's at Ballarat Airport. Only had 1mm up to midnight
but has a couple of good showers in the early hours.
Bit of a hit and miss event some places got good falls other almost nothing.
Hopefully some follow up later this week.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Drizzle has set in here now, which is slowly adding to the total. Now 12.6mm. There's a good chance it will continue for much of the morning given the southerly oriented air stream.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

StratoBendigo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:35 am Another massive fail. 4mm.
That's a shame. I thought last night the radar was looking promising for Bendigo, but obviously it didn't quite eventuate. The system later in the week is holding some promise for northern areas.
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

StratoBendigo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:35 am Another massive fail. 4mm.
Yeah hard to get rain in the middle country here, but i did see 12 mm in my
gauge, though not sure if it was empty. Will check with others later.
Friday is looking promising lol.