Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Possible Wild Weekend Feb 5-7

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Possible Wild Weekend Feb 5-7

Post by hillybilly »

Got a cracking storm in Ferny Creek this arvo. 6mm with peak rain rainfall rate of 140mm/hr. Few booms.Then teased by repeating bands which just slipped south of us. :( Locally over 30mm to you south.

That band them chased us to Walkerville where we had one of the best wall of storms with an embed super cell with dramatic wall cloud and multiple lowering. 25mm here so far. Caught what I’m pretty sure was a funnel which was on the ground for about five minutes. Couple of photos below. You can see the funnel in the middle of the bottom photo. One of those days where it was awesome or a complete dud, depending on where you lived. It was always going tops split somewhere near central, so no surprises, though I was expecting it to be about 50km further west.

hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Btw amateur network showing lots of 50mm to 100mm falls in the ranges east of Healesville, towards Marysville. Top I’ve spotted is 106mm :o
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Sorry guys (and girls). Not a fail here.

23mm is a good drop
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Let’s wish Wynyard well in Tassie. They are stuck on 99.8mm

Can they get a little shower - or a cow to wee into the AWS before 9am?!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:00 pm Btw amateur network showing lots of 50mm to 100mm falls in the ranges east of Healesville, towards Marysville. Top I’ve spotted is 106mm :o
I see 2011 noted on this day (being yesterday ) was 109mm
I recall this, my rain gauge was over flowing..

Happy to missed those big storms with works in progress in back yard,
HB, those slipping past late afternoon were great to watch, structure colours..
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Those storms kicked on into the night with 37mm down here at Walkerville. Grass is going gangbusters here :o

Dud back in the Nongs with 8.4mm. Even less around northern parts with only 5mm or so. Really unlucky with heavy showers and storms missing us by about 10km to the south and east. Quite random. Could have easily been a 30mm day for us :(

Shower Sunday to come in the south, with a mm or two for most. Thinking we could sneak 5-10mm in the Nongs.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas Rain: Fisher River 134mm, Great Lake East 117mm, Cradle Valley 102mm, Wynyard 100mm, Meander 86mm, Deloraine 77mm, Low Head 74mm, Scottsdale 58mm, Launceston 25mm, Hobart 41mm, Cressy 54mm
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Those are some big totals in Tas and nice photos HB.

Just 8.8mm here in the end, but only about 5km north and further towards Gisborne, various sites were showing around 20-25mm. We ended up with the edge of these, so very much hit and miss. It's raining lightly here at the moment, but not expecting much.

Models this morning are not quite so keen on a big event at the end of next week, but still suggesting some rain, though it's a long way out.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

A grand total of just under 1mm here. By far the biggest fizzer of the summer to date for this area. :x

I guess it's back to sprinklers & manual watering for a while.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Skywalker wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:54 am A grand total of just under 1mm here. By far the biggest fizzer of the summer to date for this area. :x

I guess it's back to sprinklers & manual watering for a while.
Summer as a whole has been a fizzer. Almost non existent.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Washing is on the line and wetter then when I put it out.
When it comes from the south - nothing much on radar, but good soaking heavy drizzle..
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:02 am Washing is on the line and wetter then when I put it out.
When it comes from the south - nothing much on radar, but good soaking heavy drizzle..
Wet and foggy in FC (report thanks to the webcam and aws ;) ). Nearly 4mm so far. Looks like a damp few hours ahead. Good to get a garden watering as the next ten days look pretty lean. Filthy weather in Wallerville :D Blowing like crazy, cloud just about hill top with frequent sideways showers. Classic South Gippsland day ;)

Perhaps a chance around Thursday, but might fizz. The highs are about to become dominant in the south as the tropics crank. Lots of warm days in the south and very warm to hot in the north.

Btw those rain totals in Tasmania and lesser extent Victoria’s east are remarkable. Lots of record broken in northern Tas. Goes to show that we got cheated in central and western parts. Cracking system with huge potential but just took the wrong track at the wrong time :(
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

14mm here today, so event finishes on about 23mm. Bit under whelming overall, though keeps things ticking over and green. Down at Walkerville much better with another 3mm so about 40mm overall. Lots of runoff with today’s drizzle which shows it it very wet under foot. Usually in February 10-15mm would disappear, but not this year after about 1800mm in the last 13 months.

Few nice days coming up, then becoming hot. Not really seeing any rain for ten days, though might sneak a bit around Thursday.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Was a fail locally but MASSIVE DAY in the NE just storm after storm after storm :D :D

Flash flooding, insane heavy rainfall, destructive straight line winds, many roads cut, huge trees down sheet iron flung in paddocks, hail up to golf balls, great structure, couple HPs cells, awesome light show over 5 hours of severe thunderstorms and many areas had 40 to 70mm lots of local flooding.
Friday was a great day around Cobram Yarrawonga Wang etc great days strom chasing and huge falls in the hills.

Models again did will with this Aceess C scary good just nailed it

Boring week or so ahead but HOT WEATHER be nice for a few days summer almost over love one last heat wave and few more beach days.

10mm of storms and drizzle this morning
Bring on the heat and stroms
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Well that was a real mystery mixed bag.
Friday not what expected and prepared for,
Sunday. I’m sure I heard heavy rain in the am.
Ahhh.. :raining: :raining: :cloudy: :partcloud: :umbrella: :rainfall: :windsail:
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Max of 13.9C here today and 13.3C here yesterday. Cold for the second week of Feb which is historically the hottest of the year in Melbourne. Chance to burn those branches in the fire which fell in the gusty winds on Friday 😁

More normal summer weather ahead. Decent front for Friday but moisture starved on latest Progs.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Sure has been cool the past couple of days. A max here of 15.8c today and currently 12.8c, but feeling even cooler with the southerly wind.

It's looking quite dry for a while, notwithstanding maybe a couple of mm later in the week. At least it's not sweltering, although it will be warming up Wed/Thurs and then possibly again mid-next week.