Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cool end to summer with perhaps some showers: Feb 25-

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Cool end to summer with perhaps some showers: Feb 25-

Post by hillybilly »

Our long stretch of boring weather rolls on. A few front will solidly impact Tasmania while upper troughs give storms to our north. In between we are stuck under ridges with mostly southerly flow. Hopefully some showers and maybe a bit of fog to break the monotony.

First front tonight dropping a few mms if you are lucky.

Btw could be a bit of snow overnight in Tasmania. Not heavy, but still always a nice surprise in summer. I’m in Hobart and might sneak up to Mt Wellington in the morning in the off chance showers and cold air coincide.
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Cool end to summer with perhaps some showers: Feb 25-

Post by weathergasm »

I’m fairly sure this run of insanely boring weather is actually never going to end😆

Time to pick another hobby
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

weathergasm wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:16 am I’m fairly sure this run of insanely boring weather is actually never going to end😆

Time to pick another hobby
I’m conflicted. On one hand this February which has seen Melbourne peak at just 32.8C is almost my idea summer month (and the average max is 24.8C, which is about 1C below average), but those southerlies have just squished our storm chances. Looks like the next ten days won’t change that pattern :o

Quite surprised with last night’s front. EC had 0.5mm and we got 6.4mm. Best proper fall in about two weeks. Topped the tanks and waters the garden. Pretty patchy, and topography helped a lot (there was also solid falls in parts of the Otways and South Gippsland with hills).

Next sneaky front for late Sunday into Monday. That one has a decent trough, but poor moisture.

To our north could be big falls one the Qld coast.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Absolutely gorgeous weather up here on Lake Hume, the lake is much higher than this time last year.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

1.5mm here and yet another cold morning - still only 11C and it's nearly midday! Going to be a well below average Feb for temps here... which to be fair is exactly my kind of Feb too :). More rain would have been nice though.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Always curious about the love of cold and wet on the forum :D

Really, it's been a rotten summer from the view of those who like a summer to be...well....summery!

Coming from the UK originally ( and enjoying a moan!) this summer has very much reminded me of a warm summer in the South of England.

Actually, it's probably been less good than that in some respects, as we havent had any consistency ( i know, its Melbourne) so a warm day followed by endless cold southerly winds then another warm day etc. Whereas at least in the best southern UK summers you might get a couple of weeks together of sun and light winds.

Not at all surprised it's been the coolest summer in Melb for at least 19 years, its certainly the coolest since i moved here 10 years ago. Notable also that it has been so much more cloudy than usual. We've really not been getting much more sunshine hours than we usually get in the winter in Melb.

The persistence of cloudy southerlies in Vic this year has been quite extraordinary - they just keep rolling back in!

At least there has been no shortage of fresh clean air.

Hoping for better in March :-)
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Yeah im one of the rare heat lovers on this fourm and our window of heat is so short every year so its nice to get it but not this year :( :(

Such a cool to cold and cloudly summer full of so much southerly winds and deary weather.
Its March next week last month of possible heat then thats it till October cold lovers always get 4 to 6 months of cold every year, heat lovers most years get a few weeks but not every year just like this year
Also a summer without 40c first time in 3 or 5 years, i know there was another summer a few years ago that didnt have a 40 either this is Melb City of course

Also for all you storm lovers need that heat and humidity for stroms cool Sly winds wont ever bring any storms lol. or ay soaking rain either just drizzle cloud ad sadness lol

Dec was 2c below
Jan 1.5c below
Feb prob 1.2c below or so a COLD SUMMER

Sunday should be nice before another week or more of 19 20c cloudly and cool to cold Sly winds going to be a long winter this year lol :( :(
Bring on the heat and stroms
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

I too love the heat!! I grew up in Perth’s eastern suburbs and loved the long hot summers and mild sunny occasionally stormy winters, trying to convince my partner to move back to Perth with me...
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

jimmyay wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:04 pm Always curious about the love of cold and wet on the forum :D

Really, it's been a rotten summer from the view of those who like a summer to be...well....summery!
Think it’s because sunny and warm is just not dynamic enough. I like warm, but more if it’s warm and thundery. Not much beats a hot, humid summers day that ends in a storm :D Can never really like the scorchers we get. Our scorchers are usually horrible, with low humidity, wind and fire danger,

Melbourne, unfortunately, throws a up a lot of boring weather, just like the last month.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

I've lived next to or in the bush most of my life, which I love, but the risk of wildfire rather takes the gloss off hot weather.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

18.2 for a high today , 2nd warmest day from Monday on - love it. Very smoky with a burn off on the mountain though.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

18.5c and cloudy all day. Perfect weather for being out in the garden.

Agree with the comments about scorching summers. Grassfire is a risk around here, so a dry, hot northerly is never appealing. Even despite that, I am very happy with a mild, wet summer. This summer has been great from my perspective, apart from the dry February. January was perfect. We’ll finish this month here on between 22c and 23c average max and between 11c and 12c average min, which seems ideal to me. But we have had only 14mm for the month, which is very dry, and it’s not looking like the pattern is going to change anytime soon unfortunately. Fingers crossed we see a shift sometime in March.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Warm one ahead today, then cold again for a week. Showers starting to look a bit better on the progs, Monday and around Wednesday and Thursday. Not a lot, but could locally squeeze out 10mm going off EC.

Nice warm weekend then, ahead of a possible break in the pattern about Labor Day. We’ve had some great storm events (though one was extremely damaging) on that weekend, so it does have some form.
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Whilst Summer has been below average each month, November was 2 degrees above average, so we’ve had in essence an extra month of Summer all up, albeit a cool one.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Another beautiful day up on Lake Hume, mornings are cool but the days are perfect, 30c sunny with a light breeze off the lake.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

4.2 this morning. Approaching mid 20's atm, kids having a ball outside, pretty good day
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Warm one today here with a max of 23C. Nice apart from the smoke from the big burn-off near Trentham.

Front tonight to usher in a cool week. Showers, but very hit and miss and basically fine in the north.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Foggy and light drizzle here. About 0.1mm in the gauge. Going to be the story of the week with cool and slightly damp conditions. Progs are slowly ramping showers for the week, with EC now showing spot falls over 10mm.

The “thundery” system for the Labor Day weekend is looking less likely :(
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Hard to get exited about this weather. Another system to our south hitting Tasmania and destined to rain on NZ. To our northeast and northwest strong tropical systems.

Chilly max of 17C here today with blustery winds. 0.4mm in the gauge so not completely dry :roll: Tomorrow looks similar.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Cool change has pushed through here now after a breezy 30c today, heading up to just north of Byron Bay Thursday away from the cold.

Lake Hume, Vic/NSW border.