Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/storm event - 6th-10th December 2010 (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/storm event - 6th-10th December 2010 (Obs

Post by wolfcat »

Karl Lijnders wrote:Nice roll cloud as it came across. Pity no storm attached.

Should see a further 5mm over southern areas. 20-50mm over the north and northeast.
;-)
wolfcat wrote:coming across the bay 5 min ago....

from Southbank. ( click for bigger )

d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

GFS was right in the run, last night i think it was, when it had the heavy rain in the west and north east of the state bypassing central areas. 22.5mm here since yesterday evening. A fair bit of that was before 9am as there were some heavy showers here at 7am.

BOM went down the wrong path IMO with their 'widespread heavy rain' forecast for Melbourne and the entire state. The heavy rain was not widespread over the whole state. Really it should have been 'rain areas with the chance of thunderstorms'. Often BOM go a bit too general with their forecasts. Anyway another fairly heavy shower affecting us here atm so not completely over yet.
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Some very heavy showers moving through in the last hour at last with most of the good stuff staying just west of us all afternoon.Maybe the system is finally starting to move east.Few roads around the area cut by flash flooding mainly being the Yach to Wodonga and Beechworth to Wodonga.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yes it looks like our chance for a big clear air storm is gone for Melbourne, unless one goes on the back of this band but not likely.

Still looks like we will see mid level deck stuff for the next few hours, as Karl said 5mm or so. The weather gods just werent with us today, but i have had 63mm since last Wednesday so no complaints here.

The beauty is the dams are copping a pasting, Marysville is almost cracked the ton which is in Upper Yarra territory. And Eildon the same, with much more to come from thunderstorms tonight.

Edit: Mid level deck starting to look very convective, might start to drop some decent stuff soon as its getting progressively black outside.
Last edited by Anthony Violi on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Interesting, very heavy shower at the moment showing dark blue on radar. :? Something a bit odd there.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Looks like one last hurrah for us in the coming hour or two. Substantial "blob" showing up on radar and satpic to our NW. It'll be interesting to see if it has any grunt left in it or goes bananas with a bit of uplift. I suspect it's going to run out of steam, but could be wrong.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yeah its starting to go now, very dark outside. Looks like another line forming as a carbon copy of this morning. Eastern Central areas and North Central could cop another decent smacking by the looks.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

14mm here :)
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Yeah not much in the way of epic storms just alot of rain, sorry anthony game over lol

Just got a call from the mother in Wodonga, road shut as Huon Creek going over the top of the bridge at huon creek rd.
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Weather arrived as a nice storm in Maffra mid arvo and has delivered 21.5mm, and if we can keep that below 30mm by the end of the night it would be perfect :D :D

Comiserations to those out in the W and N & NE who are being devestated by flooding.

...... a land of droughts and flooding rain, I guess we all knew the drought would end this way (at least us oldies did).
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Watched the roll cloud over the bay from 4.30 to 5.30. At 4.30 it had 6 lowerings of scud from it up the brighton end, stretching to Aspendale.. One formed a rope extending 1/4 way to the water, nice and fat, perfect shape, then it went as thin as a pencil, faded, came back for a few more seconds then vanished. The other 5 lowerings although the classic V shape, did not develop. It all headed the same direction as last week towards aspendale gardens. Slight greenage visible, it was so low, down to abt 100 ft I reckon.

No wind to speak of again, flat as the proverbial on the bay atm. Still plenty chunky clouds down here, dont think its over.
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Amazing cloud coming up off the bay.
Went past Windy Hill on the way home to take some snaps, good timing as a Leader Newspaper photographer arrived. He took some snaps of the approaching cloud, then wanted some of me taking photos. Could turn out to be a good birthday present next Wednesday, picture in the local paper!

Anyway, here are some that I took from the hill (shrunk them a little bit for those without broadband, no one seems to be posting in the images thread):

Severe Weather Enthusiast
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

All over here. Latest "blob" just missed us, now clearing from the west and much cooler.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Hoseing down here!! Heavy and thick as! At one stage couldn't see anything past 100 metres! Good 5mm in the past 5mins here!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

North East on track for another smashing, going to be a huge rain band through there with heavy falls.

Kudos to the models who had this event spot on, heaviest through the west and North/East.

avweatherforecasts.com
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Mt Hotham up to 55mls.If that figure is doubled overnight the Ovens river will be in Major flood by the morning and cause big problems in Bright and Myrtleford
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Hammering down in Wantirna South and Heathmont before. Must have been very localised but would have been very high intensity rainfall and equated to around orange on the radar. Terrible driving conditions out there, can't believe BOM took down the Road Weather Alert! What morons...honestly
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Just steady rain here, continuous since the aforementioned storms, can see a band of about 50KM of the "green" BOM radar rain rate about to hit us from the NW. The greenkeepers at the golf club wont be happy ("too much" rain) and the wier keeper at Lake Glenmaggie will be pacing about, the dam is still spilling (albiet at low rate) since the last event 8 days ago - he would be getting nervous.

And as I type, the rain rate has lifted from light/steady to medium/steady rain. :D :D :D
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

Coming down nicely in Springvale Rd, Nunawading. Nice big sheets of rain, perhaps the last hurrah for this event?!
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

So bizarre....it's absolutely torrential rain here at the moment, but not showing up on radar! The rain's so heavy it's leaking in all around our study window! :o
Storm Nerd!!