Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Post by norfolk »

You might get lucky like we did when we went to Tassie, cold weather but sunshine (and snow on the mount!).
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh, that would be nice Tony, here's hoping :) Thanks for all the info and advice Robyn and Chris, terrific! I do remember the road being very winding, should be a fun trip with kids that get car sick :? Not sure I like the idea of flooding glow worm caves :P

Robyn, so your son's really Big Brother :P I bet he'd see some weird and wonderful things on CCTV footage.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Never looked at it like Big Brother lol. Must mention that to Luke. Yes Lily he's got some good stories lol. He's also worked behind the Crime Scene desk in Homicide at Vic Police in St Kilda road, gun licensing, club licensing, Corrections, Pakenham police station, Springvale police station.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful holiday Lily, as Chris said previously you totally deserve it :) I love New Zealand it's so fresh and green and love the snow capped mountains. The Remarkables hopefully will have a dusting of snow on them. Be sure to go up on the gondala for the magnificent views. There are many LOTR tours too if you guys are interested in that
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Speaking of police, the Superintendant out our way has advised this morning that the heavy rain in LV a week back has created more cracks (finer cracks than those previously discoved) on both ends of the existing area being monitored/horizontal bored at present. Some 3-400 M longer at each end.

I think we'll all be driving through Morwell for a long long time.

[edit] - by the way this is a fair dinkum post (unlike the front page of our local paper this morning which has an oil rig mooted to be installed in Sales Lake Gutherage!).
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Petros » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:34 am wrote:
Petros wrote: [edit] - by the way this is a fair dinkum post (unlike the front page of our local paper this morning which has an oil rig mooted to be installed in Sales Lake Gutherage!).
:laughing: Whackers! Wonder how many will fall for it? Imagine the uproar!!!

How much does going round via Morwell add to your trip, Petros? And how long will it take to fix/what are they doing to fix it?

Robyn, Luke's been around (and I mean that in the nicest possible way :laughing: ) What an interesting job to do, though, lucky him :)
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Howdy peeps! :wave:

So what's everyone up to this weekend? Me, I am going to see a couple of shows at the Comedy Festival tonight. Will be seeing Denise Scott & Wil Anderson & may catch one of the late shows if I'm up to it. Really wanted to see Good News Week but as per every year the tickets sold out super quickly. Anyone else been/going to the Comedy Festival this year & what did/will you see?

Took Miss 12 to the dentist last night & was informed that she will need braces!!!!!!!! :o I have suspected that she would but was hoping that her teeth would grow into the right place but they have stubburnly refused too. So what have people's experience been with braces? I know they cost several thousands of $$$$$$ :( but on average how much, how long do they need to be on for & basically what is the process?

What are people's plans for the school holidays? My girls want to see the Justin Bieber movie. They can go to that with their friends as I can imagine nothing worse than being stuck at the movies with a cinema full of screaming teenage girls. I don't get what they see in him, I think he is a little dweeb! On Thursday we will be seeing a show at the National Institute of Circus Arts preformed by the final year students & featuring some guests acrobats from China, really looking forward to that. Over Easter the girls will go to Lakes Entrance with their Dad, be nice if the weather was something like this weeks has been!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Aw come on mad moo, you know you harbour a secret desire to see that Justin Bieber movie ;) Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. Sorry don't know anything about braces.

I'm going to see Limitless at last tonight. I'll do a review in the movie section when I've seen it

Have a great weekend everyone. Sorry it's going to be such a rainy start to the school holidays.

lol Lily. I bet you're having a great weekend :)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

That just had me totally dazed & dazzled,
Derrrr, forgot to change the time over in control panel for the daylight savings..

Great drop of rain yesterday and last night, batteries not in WS just yet and a new spider has made a home of the rain gauge once again. Onto to it...

Perfect weather for some Vegie Gardening before the rain, was nice to be out and feel the wind change then notice the cold air then making a mad dash inside gathering last minute things as the rain started to come down.

Last 2 weeks has seen the sun setting on the horizon in a visible position from the kitchen window, I have noticed maybe the ISS ? a few times, a very pretty sight, but unsure of what it is.
This weeks pic.
Last weeks Pic.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Lily, having to drive through Morwell adds easily 10 minutes to the trip from here to Melbourne, so much a pain that most of us drive via Glengarry/Tyers to Newbourough to avoid it. Most reckon it will be kaos at Easter.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Beautiful colours in those pics. Shell but what is an ISS? I assume you are referring to the white thingy's in your pics. Personally I think they are UFO's - the mothership has returned!!!!!!! :D
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

International Space Station..
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Yes, you're right Shell, ISS was particularly visible early evenings middle of last week. Watched it pass a few times.

Here's dome of the recent times, plus a few future events in the near future: (best will be Sat 23rd April, with over 3 mins of viewing time..)

SATELLITE LOCAL DURATION MAX ELEV APPROACH DEPARTURE
DATE/TIME (MIN) (DEG) (DEG-DIR) (DEG-DIR)

ISS Sat Apr 09/07:09 PM 3 58 29 above WSW 21 above NNE
ISS Sun Apr 10/07:35 PM 2 15 14 above WNW 10 above NNW
ISS Mon Apr 11/06:25 PM 3 51 43 above W 10 above NE
ISS Tue Apr 12/06:51 PM 1 13 13 above NW 10 above NNW
ISS Fri Apr 22/05:32 AM < 1 10 10 above NE 10 above NE
ISS Sat Apr 23/05:54 AM 3 36 10 above NNW 34 above ENE
ISS Sun Apr 24/04:46 AM 1 10 10 above NE 10 above ENE
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

A pair of Aussie golfers shared outright 2nd place in the US Masters between them (Scott and Day). Adam Scott was leading by 2 shots late in the 2nd nine before a S African newcomer stormed home out of nowhere. Great result for Aussies!!

Pity about the strong Aussie dollar, takes the gloss off thier $US700,000 each - poor buggers.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

That is a great result Petros, somehow I think they will "manage" with their $700,000 despite the exchange rate! :hysteria:
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Bit of a complaint about Target and their DVD's. I bought two dvd's on Tuesday and have only just taken the pastic of them to find that they are still locked, and for the sake of me I cannot open them. This has happened before to me and also my mother numerous times, and I am starting to get sick of it quite frankly. They should learn to unlock them as they sell them!! We live an hour away from the nearest Target and finding the time to go to them is hard, so this is just getting simply annoying.

My little whinge over with!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Jake the same thing happened to me with an internet order. They are pretty easy to unlock. We just did a search on youtube "unlock DVD case"

Here's one

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Thanks for that Robyn. It's pretty annoying. I will give that a go!! :)

Just thought I would pop this in here as well. A short snap at a story ran in our local paper today. It's quite interesting, and some friends we know heard the sound that was produced. I could not here it where I am, but I remember specifically about two weeks ago, I woke up at about 4am and heard this almighty bang, sounded just like thunder, but it wasn't. Gave me a scare for a second, then I went back to sleep. So something's happening ... not so sure on a meteorite, but it's the more plausible answer. Anyway here it is.
The south-west's big bang: the truth is out there

EVERYONE in the south-west yesterday had their own big bang theory. Was it an earthquake? Did Tower Hill erupt into action? Did a meteor shower crash to earth, or was it an alien invasion? The “big bang” was heard about 1am yesterday, with reports of an “explosion” shaking homes in Winslow, Warrnambool and Terang.
Full story: http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/n ... 34806.aspx
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

I was once sitting in my bedroom using my laptop (to look at the AWF of course :D), and to my surprise, I hear this GINORMOUS bang that sounded like a very close bolt of lightning, but even louder. I could even feel the ground shaking slightly beneath my feet.

But what was even weirder ... I went out and asked my parents and my brothers and sisters did they hear anything, and they told me they didn't really hear much at all!

So I ventured outside in the darkness, because I assumed it was likely a meteor or something very, very heavy had fallen over somewhere, but I didn't find anything. Maybe it was a meteor that had burned up in the air? But why I am the only one who heard it? I was so confused. LOL. :P
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Maybe this is what I had?

Extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exploding head syndrome is a parasomnia condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).
This noise usually occurs within an hour or two of falling asleep, but is not necessarily the result of a dream and can happen while awake as well.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow that's trippy! Exploding head syndrome. Hope you get the case open Jake