Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cold Outbreak Saturday 29/9/2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold Outbreak Saturday 29/9/2012

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Ended up with around 30mm for the event here at home so not a bad effort. Weather on the weekend was as expected for the Grand Final. Totally overcooking the forecast of showers and hailstorms etc for Melbourne. Was never going to happen as such that bad. A few passing showers with the hail and thunder staying further SE was the better forecast.

Anyway not much left in the system now with a continuation of the clearing trend.

A boring week on the way with not much happening, perhaps around 5mm on Friday into the weekend but that is about it. Might scrape a 30C on Thursday if everything aligns itself but even that is looking a little tricky.

Hopefully a few days of sunshine to dry and thaw us out!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Another hyped up system has gone by with a wimper.Yesterday IMO felt colder than Sat.Another boring week of very benign weather coming up with maybe the possibility of a shower next Sat but i would'nt be holding my breath on that one.Maybe things will pick up towards the end of Oct with a bit more heat and moisture around to produce some storms.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah looking a little boring this week. Might have to wait for this dry air to leave the country. Should be some ripper frosts inland so going to have to keep a close eye on that with crops coming into harvest in areas that have done well rainfall wise.

Overall today looks like the 1st of June!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

The old man also mentioned that snow had settled at the top of the Otways on Saturday morning beside the Forrest - Apollo Bay Rd near Barramunga (400m A.S.L).
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

we had a settled fall of snow on saturday morning,not much but it was definitely there, ive got a few pics that i will put up soon. i dont know if it snowed later in the day, i was up in NSW and my partner flew up as well at 8am,so there was no one here to see any snow if it happened in the middle of the day.

that makes three light settled falls this year and about 6 or 7 days where snow fell but didnt settle. No really good falls though, havent sssen a good one for a few years now.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

We've been up at Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges camping and boy was it hot when we got there, 36c on Thursday before the cool change hit the campsite like an atomic bomb overnight into Friday. Ferocious storm force winds with the campsite being blasted by sand and grit, but no rain other than a few spits. A pine tree next to our tent snapped in half and fell just 10 metres from us. Maximum temps the next three days were around 13-16c, and jackets were needed against a cold biting wind. Now coming down from Broken Hill to Swan Hill temps are picking up to 22c. Very dry up here, most creeks are bone dry, but crops seem to be nice and green still, though rain will obviously be needed very soon to keep them going. The Murray River is looking pretty full though, and a big wet spell up here this spring could be a serious concern. Back home tomorrow. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Just home after weekend in Melb.for AFL Grandfinal. 19mm rain in the gauge here really great .
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Nice drop Alexia! I am glad that there have been some reasonable falls about.

Nice to have you back Geoff!!

Some lovely weather out there at the moment, should see a nice sea breeze whip up in the south this afternoon.

A topic to be started on this weekends pressure trough which holds some hope for inland rainfall!
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

23c today here, really warm! Even YMML is 24c! Sea breezes dropping temps in the city and bayside suburbs, only about 18c there!
Go the bombersss!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yes Stefan, I noticed some really peculiar temperatures coming down from Woodend to home early this afternoon. We left Woodend around 1pm with the temp at 19c. By the time we were going past Sunshine/Diggers Rest it jumped up to 26c, just for a short distance before it dropped back to 19c around the Melbourne fringes. Back up to 22c going through the eastern suburbs. Strange that little hotspot just n/w of Melbourne.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Yeah its was quite warm, tomorrow should be better on top of today!
Go the bombersss!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

I heard mention while I was away that Wesburn on GF Day had 1/2 hour of Hail.
Mum mentioned the bitter cold and having wood fire and split system going..
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Welcome back Shell and Geoff :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Would not surprise me at all Michelle. There were large training bands of showers over that area on Saturday. 25mm at the dam in 24hrs that day and locally up to 40mm in the region.

Now all a distant memory!