Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Back from NZ :( lol

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Back from NZ :( lol

Post by Lily »

Hi guys, we're back (briefly)! :wave:

Had an absolutely awesome time, really tired today though!

We ended up flying into Christchurch, our plane attempted to land twice in Queenstown but winds were over 100km/hr (bit scary to be honest), so we diverted to Christchurch. We didn't want to stay there, the city's got enough going on and trying to find accommodation would have been difficult, so we hired a car and drove straight through to Queenstown, was a looooong day after getting up at 3.30am and arriving at 10.30pm after over five hour's driving. We hooked up with two cars full of Aussie boys on a golfing holiday and drove in convoy with them (with regular obligatory pub and subsequent toilet stops lol).

We did so much! Shotover Jet, 4wd tour up to Macetown (old mining town), took a light plane to Milford Sound and did the cruise, went parasailing, ate waaaay too much good food and imbibed in some of the local wine, lots of shopping & walking, went to the Skyline and did the Luge watched the crazy bungee jumpers and swings and generally had an incredibly awesome time :D

Favorite day had to be one of the simplest, we went for a drive and watched some bungies, drove to Arrowtown and wandered around there (absolutely gorgeous with all the autumn colours), had the BEST meal of the trip at the New Orleans hotel (cajun chicken open sandwich on garlic rye with aioli, yum!) and skipped stones over the river in the autumn sunshine.

The weather was absolutely perfect, beautiful clear sunny skies every day until the last two days which became a bit cloudy with a sprinkle of rain overnight Thursday night. The view from our hotel was absolutely incredible, that first morning we opened the curtains and gasped at the (truly) remarkable sight of the Remarkables spread out before us. There was snow on the mountains for the first few days, but it soon melted in the sunshine, couldn't have asked for better weather. Chris, I would highly, highly recommend the villas at the Heritage Hotel, definitely go there, it was sensational (recommend a hire car with a little one in tow, though).

Lots of photos and videos of course, I'll get some up later, but for now, here's a couple of videos of my son, just turned twelve, who has turned into the adrenaline junky from hell. He was talked into bungy jumping by a crazy Welsh lady called Kate at the AJ Hackett bridge (she was absolutely awesome, funny, funny girl, kept calling my husband a pussy for not jumping lol), and after his first jump we just couldn't stop him! He's addicted :rotfl:

First video is his first jump, he then went on to do a further four jumps (three from the Ledge over Queenstown, he did the Matrix and the Pendulum here, my heart was in my mouth!), then the second video is him and Kate doing a tandem back to back jump at the Bridge.

[youtube]iKcTWzttpiE[/youtube]

[youtube]CdnQVEjSHCE[/youtube]

So much more I could tell you, but I'll stop there for now at least lol. In a nutshell, the best holiday ever and the kids are badgering us to move there lol! Heading off again in a few days, but back after easter :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Back from NZ :( lol

Post by Rivergirl »

Awesome. How exciting for your son. I was at that place in December watching the bungee jumping. Wow sounds like you had an awesome time in NZ. Pity about the long drive from Christchurch though. So glad you had beautiful weather too.

Welcome home!! I guess you're now off to Lake Eildon for Easter. Have a great time Lily and welcome back for the short time you are here :)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Great Vid's.
sounds like nice time...
couldnt jump.. no way...
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Here's a few pics, apologies for the quality, we just took our cheapo camera and used the video for a lot of the photos too (didn't want to risk taking the good one and too big to lug around on all the activities!).

Our villa was amazing, the views just stunning:

We took a light plane to Milford Sound for the day and did a cruise before flying back again. This is Queenstown from the air:

One of the many waterfalls at the Sound:

Milford Sound in all it's dark, wet and mysterious glory, they receive somewhere between 6 - 7 metres of rain there a year on average, the highest in NZ:

L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

The ever changing, 180 degree view immediately outside our villa, The Remarkables dominating everything:

Shotover River, pretty low. The true colour of the water isn't done justice in this photo, it's the most beautiful colour and so clear:

We took a 4wd tour to Macetown, an old ghost town which was mined for gold in the 1800's. Absolutely beautiful spot, would love to camp there, it's stunning and so rugged. We did 25 river crossings on the trip - awesome!

Kids panning for gold (they got some too!):

Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Love your pics Lily, they really give a a good idea of the places you went. I love New Zealand, I think it's an amazing place.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Autumn colours really add to the pics.
What a trip... looks great..
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions: