Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
windyrob
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-??? 2010

Post by windyrob »

Well I updated a couple of my photos to get the colour close to what I saw. Had the camera in the wrong jpeg setting, must download an updated version of my software so i can get back to using raw on the new camera.
Anyway here are the two most colourful shots from yesterday

up to 40mm from the system so far.
Heading up the calder to look at some wedding venues and will have the camera handy :D
Cheers
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

link to the ABC News (NSW) coverage of the storms...

the main package comes from Vic and was filmed around Southbank...

watch for the great umbrella shot if you didn't see it on the news last night..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/03/06/2838513.htm
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

ok what is the real risk of hail like yesterday here in boronia....should i be moving everything away from the windows?? and getting prepared now?? - I am lucky as nothing was broken yesterday...pure fluke...but if it happens again today i dont see me being that lucky twice!!!

:-? :-?
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Welcome Lenny and great to have you onboard!! :thumbsup:
Pass on our regards to seaworthy. He has done a fine job travelling so far to get some action!!
Winds on the increase at here at the Lake. But still in bright sunshine and will stay that was for an hour or so.
No real signs of convection over the hills to my N/NE.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

James wrote:ok what is the real risk of hail like yesterday here in boronia....should i be moving everything away from the windows?? and getting prepared now?? - I am lucky as nothing was broken yesterday...pure fluke...but if it happens again today i dont see me being that lucky twice!!!

:-? :-?
We are in a NE flow and there is a clear slot to the NE of us. As crazy as it sounds, the risk is there for something similar to yesterday, however I do doubt you will experience that exact intensity again, would have to be very unlucky.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

23/18 now and temp will continue to rise with the sun out.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Just been running and re-running the 24hr IR satloop. I've never seen anyhing like the current setup before....

The cold pool made it as far as Adelaide as predicted and how the IR pictures showed its momentum to do. Its now sat over Adelaide for near 24 hrs and has completed a full rotational loop! And its not moving anywhere either (it least at the moment).

This has allowed the moist inland air to form enormous inflow bands on its NE quadrant from Lake Eyre through to Canberra! Its a double band at the moment, the inner band containing a huge storm complex moving from the NNW over Swan Hill. This orientation must have produced constant storm activity for many hours for those in the NSW central W Balranald way, also down over Albury into NE Vic.

And how about the massive blob of inland moisture detached from the Brisbane area being drawn down through E NSW (already S of Sydney) at a great rate of knots to join the action in E Vic this evening. Amazing.

Rain has just set in here arriving from the ENE and looks to be hours worth, seen no sun so expect no storms, BUT WE LOVE EASTERLY RAIN!!

Now if only that cold pool could wander along the Murray R rather than decaying SEwards below Tassie - we would put 10% into our catchments in 2 days!

BIG EVENT. Hopeing our 12.5mm will end up being 30mm by Tuesday. :bringiton:
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Anthony, I am getting a little nervous now. Most activity seems to be moving SSE towards central Victoria, the stuff north of Swan Hill. I know I have to be patient but I have not had a storm in so long and would be dissapointed if we got no storms and Melbourne got hit again. Should that activity swing more SSW when it moves over Victoria?
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

Two more photos to add from the panorama i added yesterday:
And
N
Nick Sykes
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Nick Sykes »

That storm up near Hay is a monster, love to be near there. Temps and dp's continue to rise in the Melbourne area, 23.5 on my thermo :)
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

The Herald Sun is calling yesterdays storms a mini-cyclone! |:/
W
WriteOwl
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by WriteOwl »

Hi all,

It's been a fascinating 24 hours. I'm sorry to hear of your tales of damage and destruction. :( I hope all goes well with the clean up! Down on the Mornington Peninsula here so only got sideswiped by it. I was very interested in the reports of severe windshear. The green-tinged clouds also sounded ominous.

I'm a keen watcher of racing and the storm that hit Flemington was incredible, and knocked out the broadcast for good and all at one point.
Was that what you would class as a microburst - or is that a different animal? :?
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Wow just saw the obs of 25/18 in Scoresby, not bad at all, up 3 degrees in 30 minutes. Heating up quickly now.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Fantastic to have your comments TS thanks!!! :D

Is there any chance of the cut-off low (I shoud say cold pool still?) to remain at its current latitude for much longer??
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Yes i know, on the Yarrawonga Radar, to the north western part of it, there is a big cell.
Go the bombersss!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Going to be touch and go Jake, you will definitely see rain, storms you may miss out on but i wouldnt rule out storms tomorrow morning on the wrap around band.

Also just noticed the upper low is still in SA...not what i think most were expecting, it may stall a bit and if it does it could quite conceivably come a little further East than progged...something to watch.

This is a very rare event so it could still do its own thing...
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

WriteOwl wrote:Hi all,

It's been a fascinating 24 hours. I'm sorry to hear of your tales of damage and destruction. :( I hope all goes well with the clean up! Down on the Mornington Peninsula here so only got sideswiped by it. I was very interested in the reports of severe windshear. The green-tinged clouds also sounded ominous.

I'm a keen watcher of racing and the storm that hit Flemington was incredible, and knocked out the broadcast for good and all at one point.
Was that what you would class as a microburst - or is that a different animal? :?
Live about 500m from the racecourse, and it was bad. My street was covered with water, looked like a river. Actually, it looked like there was more water on it than my local creek had had in ages! :D
Go the bombersss!
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

Wow outside looks just like yesterday early afternoon to my north! The same high-level cloud which looks like an anvil. Although yesterday it was actually an anvil.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Anyone here think that the cell near Hay will hit Melbourne later?
Go the bombersss!
T
Thunderstruck
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Thunderstruck »

That storm NW of Hay is a PEARLER. Absolute PEARLER. To be that intense that far away from the radar with such a solid round core shows how severe it is. Ben tracking out of my range won't need to go that far west, must stay east moving more left of mean flow.

TS :cool: