Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by Onetahuti »

Lily wrote:Hi Rod, just joining in the "Welcome Chorus". Lovely to have you here, you're not far from me and a few of our other members :) So, I have to ask, how much rain did you record over the Labour Day weekend? :D

Look forward to hearing more from you soon :wave:
Evening Lily the answer to your question is 54.5mm, most of which was rain but had enough hail to put holes in the fabric of my new gazebo. I was lucky.
Have family in both Lysterfield and Upwey who did not fare so well, one nephew had his vehicle written off plus broken windows etc while another niece and nephew had dents in nearly all the panels of their two cars.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

WeatherGazer wrote:I'm sorry to hear that you won't be up here for our winter. Actually I'd love to spend a winter down your neck of the woods, just to remind me what real cold is like. As a native bannana bender though, I have to admit that I do prefer the fine weather we have up here for our winter. It just doesn't make sense the rain being soooo cold.

Hope you enjoy your time here. The natives are lovely, but you have to watch out for a reallllllly weird guy who calls himself Karl :o ;)

WG :wave:
The odd cyclone or two are not the best though, saw that Finch Hatton where friend and I put up for two weeks after the camper engine blew had 332mm in 24 hours from Ului. We got to know the town well in that time lol. What was more comical, will forget the cost bit was that the new engine had to be shipped from Dandenong.
W
WeatherGazer
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Near the Whitsunday Islands, Queensland - not on an island in the Whitsundays.

Post by WeatherGazer »

Oh now that is the epitome of irony about your car. The Pioneer River was beautifully full for a few days post Ului. Finch Hatton is a stunning spot to be stranded.
I love smilies :wave:
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Welcome Rod and all our new friends!! This crazy weather family gets bigger and bigger which is great!! Room at the table for more!!

Should be interesting comparing rainfall with you Rod with me being up Stud Rd.

So nice to read everyone of the stories on here.

And yeah I would watch out for Karl, quite simply... Tall and weird haha!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Hi Everyone!! My turn!! :-D

I'm Sarah, and I have been a longtime lurker but only recent poster and love the forums!

I'm 31 and married to my marvellous hubby for 3 years now. We have a (very) spoilt cat called Jazz who thinks she rules the house. I have been a severe weather fanatic (I am a novice when it comes to the science though! I am hoping I can learn a lot through these forums!) since I can remember - I was born in QLD and my earliest memory was when I was only about 3, looking out the window at heavy hail and mum said I was absolutely facinated by the "white marbles" falling from the sky.

I moved down to Melbourne with the family when I was 4, and grew up in Upwey and Mt Evelyn in our lovely Dandenong Ranges. I've now lived in Croydon North for 7 years - Croydon North where it NEVER seems to rain! Hubby and I actually joke about how it seems to go around us....especially the thunderstorms! :(

My hubby always jokes about my facination for weather. He doesn't really get it although I think he's starting to come around, he actually got excited about the awesome Supercell we had 3 weeks ago. I do have a bit of a repuation when we have been caught out in developing weather situations while driving, involving me always watching the sky and commenting on cloud formations and lightning instead of watching where I should be driving!!! :?

I'm an avid reader, obsessed with music, love photography but seem to be particularly bad at it - I am aiming to correct this though and I'm thinking of taking some classes. I'm a bit of an amatuer wine buff....at least the drinking part, anyway! My secret shame is that I am also a reality TV addict...especially Survivor and the Amazing Race. :roll: :roll:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cold! Love winter, wet weather, thunderstorms, rain, hail SNOW! I hate the heat, we have no air con needless to say I suffered greatly last summer!! ;)

Oh...and I am also known for my "novel" emails...sorry about that! Better shut up now! :D
Storm Nerd!!
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Duckey wrote:I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cold! Love winter.... rain.... SNOW
:D
hey duckey! Just round the corner from you, and yes I too LOVE wintry weather. Only just tolerate 30*c days, but any more is just vile in my book. Roll on the frosty mornings I say!

Chris
W
WeatherGazer
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Near the Whitsunday Islands, Queensland - not on an island in the Whitsundays.

Post by WeatherGazer »

:wave: Hi Duckey, welcome aboard :wave:
I love smilies :wave:
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Gee it is great to see a good amount of girls (Ladies).
Just by names and posts I had no idea there were so many girls among us. :applause: :scarypink:
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote:Gee it is great to see a good amount of girls (Ladies).
Just by names and posts I had no idea there were so many girls among us. :applause: :scarypink:
Yep, I agree Shell, I had no idea either, it's good to see :D Lovely to meet you Duckey :flower:

I think a few of us can relate to partners and friends not really understanding our fascination with the weather. I was chuckling (on the inside, mind) a few weeks ago when my husband was sitting next to me on 7th March as the new round of thunderstorms approached - he was constantly checking the radar and warnings and giving me updates, yet he calls me weather obsessed :roll: :laughing: I told him I'd finally brought him round to the dark side and gave him the AWF address, but he was too chicken to come here :hysteria:
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Hi Sarah!!

Welcome aboard...love having all the ladies on the forum!!! :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Greg Sorenson
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Greg Sorenson »

Welcome to this great weather family everyone! I've been a little quiet due to working interstate for the past couple weeks, so keen to get back on board. The snow season is just round the corner, can't wait.
Planning on living a long time. There's so much to do in such a short space of a life!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes a big welcome from me too to all the new ladies and gentlemen :) I haven't been around a lot in the last month because of a death in the family which has been very sad.

Sarah you have a lot of the same interests as me - reading, music, photography, the cold, snow, huge Survivor and Amazing Race fan :) I live up in the Dandenongs where you once lived.
g
gerta
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by gerta »

Very much a long time lurker and very infrequent poster.

31 year old school teacher who lives near Marong just outside Bendigo. Have a lovely mud brick home and 20 acres which are home to 6 of the wife's horses. Fantastic at the moment as for the first time since we have been here, we have two very full dams.

Parents are retired farmers so weather has always been an important thing for me, although these days I worry more about having full tanks and dams, than it falling in the right time for our farmers.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

gerta wrote:Have a lovely mud brick home and 20 acres which are home to 6 of the wife's horses.
Sounds like heaven to me :D Nice to learn a bit more about you, welcome aboard, don't lurk, join in! :) What do you teach, Gerta?
g
gerta
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by gerta »

Lily wrote:
gerta wrote:Have a lovely mud brick home and 20 acres which are home to 6 of the wife's horses.
Sounds like heaven to me :D Nice to learn a bit more about you, welcome aboard, don't lurk, join in! :) What do you teach, Gerta?
I probably will Lily. It's about the only forum that I visit that isn't blocked under our new ISP at work.

I'm a Biology and Science teacher, but also have been known to teach Maths, PE and IT. The joys of working at small P-12 schools.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ah, a man of many talents (and much patience no doubt!). Great career, teaching, rewarding but bloody tough at the same time I'd imagine. Kudos to you!
It's about the only forum that I visit that isn't blocked under our new ISP at work.
Aha! We've slipped through! :rotfl:

Edit: Actually, I'll mention this to you as you might be interested. I've just got a new weather station (thanks to the hail storm wrecking my old one). I've got a Davis from one of our members here, Aussky, and was interested when reading up about it that they are great for use in schools with multiple WS's "talking" to each other and collecting data, etc. Might be right up your alley being a science boffin and all lol! Would be good if you could get the $$ for it, I know when I read it I thought it would be really cool for kids to watch the weather and record data :)
g
gerta
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by gerta »

Lily wrote:Ah, a man of many talents (and much patience no doubt!). Great career, teaching, rewarding but bloody tough at the same time I'd imagine. Kudos to you!
It's about the only forum that I visit that isn't blocked under our new ISP at work.
Aha! We've slipped through! :rotfl:

Edit: Actually, I'll mention this to you as you might be interested. I've just got a new weather station (thanks to the hail storm wrecking my old one). I've got a Davis from one of our members here, Aussky, and was interested when reading up about it that they are great for use in schools with multiple WS's "talking" to each other and collecting data, etc. Might be right up your alley being a science boffin and all lol! Would be good if you could get the $$ for it, I know when I read it I thought it would be really cool for kids to watch the weather and record data :)
Ahhh it would have been a great career about 5 to 10 years ago. Now it's all about paper work and collection of data. You have to do more of that than actually teaching. If it was just about teaching, preparing to teach and correction, it would be fantastic. But alas. Oh well i guess that justifies our last pay increase ;) Anyway enough of angry teacher rant.

The weather station would be a good idea. We purchased one a couple of years ago, but was a relatively cheap and apparently dodgy one so I don't think it actually works any more. I'll have to look at getting another one for my use - i mean the kids use.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

TAX WRITE-OFF! woot! :peaceout: :stir: :mexicanwave: :hysteria:

http://www.vantagevue.com/

Of course, I'm suggesting this for purely selfish reasons - it's good to have as many people as possible reporting in across the state/country :P
g
gerta
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by gerta »

Lily wrote:TAX WRITE-OFF! woot! :peaceout: :stir: :mexicanwave: :hysteria:

http://www.vantagevue.com/

Of course, I'm suggesting this for purely selfish reasons - it's good to have as many people as possible reporting in across the state/country :P
Just wait till i see whether i go to jail for trying to claim my iphone as a teaching tool..
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Hey everyone,

My name is Stefan and yes i'm probably the youngest in this forum, i'm only 12. Most of the time im really happy :D . I live in Ascot VaIe, and i go to school in West Melbourne. I just started year 7 at this year and its awesome. Ive liked the weather since i was six, and i will love it ever since. Last year everyday i presented the weather to my year 6 class. I barrack for the bombers, and im sorry for all you Collingwood fans, but i hate Collingwood. Im not very farmilliar with many weather terms, so sorry if i accidentally read something that i think means something else. Thanks =]
Go the bombersss!