Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Polar Blast 2nd Round: June 3 - 10

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Polar Blast 2nd Round: June 3 - 10

Post by stevco123 »

Must admit i was hesitant about my local area being in a microclimate of sorts since I moved here 6 years ago, but ever since the Frankston AWS got moved to an area nowhere near Frankston, i can see the variation in temperatures being similar to mine. The past 3 weeks have shown that it is indeed cooler by around 2 degrees during the day compared to other suburbs nearby. Eg; 11.6 today at Frankston, 11 at my house, but 13 pretty much everywhere else.

Really interesting once you get to know your local microclimate.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

The weekend's cold front seemed to be further East than forecast. Hence daytime temps here were quite mild for June. And cloud cover at night has kept minimum temps above average.

We went up to Mt Buffalo yesterday for a quick snow trip with the kids. Decent base for early June (around 40-50cm at Cresta, 30cm or so at Dingo Dell. And the sun shone all day. Very nice!
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Wind to 40klm / hr here atm. Not surprised given synoptic. Very little precip in last few weeks here.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

A really horrible day here with a bitter north wind and very small diurnal range.
Min was 3C and max only 4.5C.
Nasty.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Not often my thoughts are “Good to hear a bit of wind.. “ !
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Hard to get excited by the progs compared to what we’ve just had. Cool, but not cold. Not dry but not really wet. Lots of little lows, but nothing significant.

Fortunately there is a bit of wind to keep the lights on and nights won’t be so cold.

1.7C here earlier and might get a bit of rain today or not.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Very windy here overnight and this morning, with gusts over 50km/h. Strangely, the BOM hasn't issued any wind warnings for land areas in Vic, despite even Melbourne Airport reporting gusts over 70 km/h.

Currently 7.3c here and feeling quite bitter with the wind chill. Some moderate rain is moving through at the moment, but I'm not expecting much of a total from this system or over the week here given the prevailing pattern.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Raining a bit here this morning. Already a coupe of mm, and curently 7 degC with Northerly winds. Rather wintry!

The wind farms in Vic and SA are doing a great job atm!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Rubbish system so far here with nothing but disgusting windy filth. :cussing: :censored:

Nice to see the useless BOM are asleep at the wheel again with their lack of warnings.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Skywalker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am Rubbish system so far here with nothing but disgusting windy filth. :cussing: :censored:
It's keeping the lights on!

5mm here this morning.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

StratoBendigo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:37 am
Skywalker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am Rubbish system so far here with nothing but disgusting windy filth. :cussing: :censored:
It's keeping the lights on!
True, as you have already pointed out above. It's still filth & hate it with a passion. :)
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A rather wet afternoon here. 13mm in the gauge.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Snowy Hydro's Spencers Ck reading is in - 118.3cm. Most snow this early since 1968; just goes to show how powerful this anomaly was.

Hope we get some 3 Mile Dam and Deep Ck reading soon - expect they will be at least as exceptional. (Selwyn claimed a metre plus; not far from either site.)
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

I was up at Mt Buffalo on Monday. Around 40-50cm up at Cresta. Magnificent, although probably some wet weather damage now.

We got 18mm all up. And temp is warmer than yesterday (10c) now.
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Sad we have to pray for wind to keep the lights on. I don’t think we generate much wind power in VIC though ??

Seriously, we have so much uranium a few nuclear plants would put a permanent end to this discussion and blackouts.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

dazrain wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:26 am Sad we have to pray for wind to keep the lights on. I don’t think we generate much wind power in VIC though ??

Seriously, we have so much uranium a few nuclear plants would put a permanent end to this discussion and blackouts.
At risk of going on tangents, Victoria has about 3.2 GW of wind power capacity. It was producing close to that amount earlier in the week. It's currently 1.6 GW which is what the old Hazelwood brown coal station could pump out flatchat.

Anyway, Melbourne CBD is close to going over 15c for the first time since May 29th. 18 consecutive days so far under 15c. Impressive.

Port Philip Bay is also down to 12c. That's the coldest at this time of year since this graph was created in 2000: http://www.baywx.com.au/temps.html
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Seem to be right in the sweet spot for once with that nice stream of moderate rain pushing through back home.
Meanwhile it's been on & off showers here at work.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

3.4mm here yesterday and 2mm so far today. Thick fog has rolled in this afternoon and it's currently raining.

Actually made it up to 13.3c around lunchtime, which is the warmest temp so far for June.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

After the very early onset of winter for SE Aus, after a long period lingering in the late Summer zone, finally the latitude of the high pressure system seems to have morphed back up Northwards to be at the "normal" location for this time of the year:

Lock in a record snow season, and full dams for next summer.

After only 20.5mm here for May, this month has dripped out 28.5mm here so far. And yet the paddocks remain damp.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

dazrain wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:26 am Sad we have to pray for wind to keep the lights on. I don’t think we generate much wind power in VIC though ??

Victoria has just on 4,000 MW of installed wind capacity, of which 3/4 of it produced power (3,000MW) in the NW'ly winds earlier this week. This actually was a rare contribution, given it lasted for a day or so.

There is 5,050MW of coal generation capacity remaining in Vic at the moment, subtract 1,620MW off that when Yallourn is forced to close early in 7 years time due to politics.

Re Hazelwood, gone but not forgotten, .....at least it didnt take the day off last Monday like our intermittent wind generation did - when we needed most.

[edit] ....but that's only in Victoria I hear the warmist/alarmists exclaim!:

Come Friday arvo (just as the sun goes down), this energy crisis will step up again. We reap what we sow. Wait till the rolling blackouts this time next year.
Last edited by Petros on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.