Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Some rain possible with a front & Upper trough Dec 7th-8th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Some rain possible with a front & Upper trough Dec 7th-8th

Post by johnno »

To stable we will be struggling for showers after the band let alone thunderies as Karl said we may even finish the day off with sunshine today.

Great drop of rain and all the global models were on this cept for the fact a couple of them had the rain bit to far south. The Mesolaps/Laps & Mlaps had no idea until the very last minute.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Raining here last hour solid but not heavy, great to see should crack 5mm which is great

14c with gusty Sw wind and Steady Rain :):)
Now Living in Wet QLD
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mosaic »

Still steady rain, looks like it will clear in next half hour.

Have clocked up 20mm so far, excellent result.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

I emptied out 4mm this morning in Burwood, and expect to empty nearly double that tomorrow morning. Fantastic rain to keep the garden green (must mow the lawn at some stage :| )

Rog.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

19.5mm. still coming down steady.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Up to 22mm now with rather heavy rain falling on the back edge of this rain band. I think we will crack 25mm here with a fairly sunny late afternoon likely.

Rog - if you only get 8mm I think you have been dudded. 20mm should have fallen in Burwood by now.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Rain has eased here just very light now.

18mm here great drop
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Great System why cant we get these all the time :mrgreen:

6mm here and teaming down now with many Mallee and Wimmera and North country folk on about 10mm great stuff but bad news for farmers have haven't done there crop yet

Teaming down now and no wind LOVE IT

The strange pattern of Very wet and mild (apart from the 2 week heat wave) November and December Continue for the 4-5th year in a row

Lets hope we get another system or 2 before new year were once again i feel will dry up after new years.

Great state wide 10-25mm falls :)
Now Living in Wet QLD
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Well rain reluctant to clear here with it still steady.

Some small low level showers over the central and western suburbs trying to develop.

NW winds back in Geelong where they had 10mm today which is nothing to sneeze at.

EC has done very well on this system.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Back edge just gone through, lots of blue sky to my SW W so should be bright sun shine by 2pm

Light rain still falling sadly should be over in about 10 mins or so

8mm from that rain band VERY HAPPY was only expecting about 3mm so very happy, rain band came further north than expected which is always a good thing

Most in the NW have had 10mm from this rain band great for Dams tanks gardens most people North of the Mounts will get have had about 10mm which is great

Boring cool sunny week ahead up here, but Chilly and showers for you south folk Thurs FrI
Now Living in Wet QLD
NoRelationToNed
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by NoRelationToNed »

Still light rain falling here in Cohuna, up to 4 mm so far. Nice drop indeed for most. The northern half of the rainband is narrowing and pushing through quicker, looks like an upper trough will form inland with storms at the top of the back edge.
...from the border of the Mallee and the Northern Country, just south of the Murray.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Wow, how about all this rain, hey? I spent the morning gridlocked in traffic in the northern suburbs, finally got to Macleod after 1.5 hours of frustration then onto Smith's Gully. Water is everywhere, huge puddles, lots of drains backed up and unable to cope. I took a few photos from my phone but they're really crappy so won't post lol.

I've got home to 21mm in the gauge and still raining lightly. Have to be happy with that :)
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Trentham stopped at 30.6mm - will try to get to Trentham Falls this afternoon on the way home - should look pretty good!! More to come later this week....
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Yes EC has been great in picking the system up from day 1 as was NOGAPS the 1st 2 that showed it but like any other models chopped and changed rainfall progs up until Saturday 1 run be 5mm next 25mm. UK was great for here picked the rainfall spot on once again but both UK and EC had this rainband to far south which is the only thing I can fault them for.

GFS all over the shop too but the general consensus from GFS all week was the best of the rainfall be in Central Vic and the ranges and not in the SW so have to give it points for getting that right & GFS had the prog preety much right compared to UK in its overnight run of where the main axis of the rain would be today and the heavier falls.

The rainband is now falling apart as it moves into the NE so the NE won't fair that well out of this (Just like the SW) Mt.Buller is the only place that sticks out up there with 20mm but all the other places are yet off the mark and can't see much happening the coming hours up there as the system literally dies. UK has been onto this for days.

18mm here and has stoped.
j
jmw2207
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by jmw2207 »

AUSSKY wrote:Trentham stopped at 30.6mm - will try to get to Trentham Falls this afternoon on the way home - should look pretty good!! More to come later this week....
Post up some photo's of the falls if you get a chance...would be great!
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

johnno wrote:Yes EC has been great in picking the system up from day 1 as was NOGAPS the 1st 2 that showed it but like any other models chopped and changed rainfall progs up until Saturday 1 run be 5mm next 25mm. UK was great for here picked the rainfall spot on once again but both UK and EC had this rainband to far south which is the only thing I can fault them for.

GFS all over the shop too but the general consensus from GFS all week was the best of the rainfall be in Central Vic and the ranges and not in the SW so have to give it points for getting that right & GFS had the prog preety much right compared to UK in its overnight run of where the main axis of the rain would be today and the heavier falls.

The rainband is now falling apart as it moves into the NE so the NE won't fair that well out of this (Just like the SW) Mt.Buller is the only place that sticks out up there with 20mm but all the other places are yet off the mark and can't see much happening the coming hours up there as the system literally dies. UK has been onto this for days.

18mm here and has stoped.
Mansfield and surounds have had around 12mm so far so not bad. Probably it as you say John it's falling apart as it heads NE.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

21mm here so very happy :D . Nice to see EC and GFS picking this well even though as Johnno said GFS needed until overnights run to decide where the best falls would be. EC was sweet all week with this system, hoping for the 6mm it's progging for Thurs, will give me over the inch in 2 days.

Geez Karl, way to be a rain hog. You are the Bellingen of Vic. :lol:

Rhino. :) :)
Last edited by Rhino on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Karl Lijnders wrote: Rog - if you only get 8mm I think you have been dudded. 20mm should have fallen in Burwood by now.
I worded that pretty badly - I expect to get at least double again, eg. at least 8mm on top of the 4mm already received.

Looking at some of the AWS readings around though my estimate might be under a bit - possibly will have between 15mm-20mm for the event which is more than enough to give the garden a good soaking :D . All will be revealed when I pull the old Nylex gauge out of the ground tomorrow morning...

Rog.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

20mm and rained off work. :D
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Ended up with around 24mm here for the event. Further east had closer to 30mm. Catchments had about 30-40mm out of this.