Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Winter Vegetables/Herbs in pots.. Any green thumbs around?

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Winter Vegetables/Herbs in pots.. Any green thumbs around?

Post by schitzengiggles »

Over the summer I had a tomato vine in a pot. It was bought for me as a present. Awesome present!

This was the first thing I'd ever grown. I absolutely loved it, and will be planting lots more this summer.

Having used the last of the sauce I made tonight, I'm wondering what I can plant now in pots to keep me amused 'til it's time to plant my tomatos again.

Any suggestions anyone?
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Winter Vegetables/Herbs in pots.. Any green thumbs aroun

Post by Petethemoskeet »

You can try Strawberries,Silverbeet,Broccolini and depending how big your pots are, Potatoes.If you try potatoes remember to only use certified seed potatoes.Good luck and let us know how it goes
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

Garlic's an easy one.
Plant on the shortest day and pick on the longest. Then put in a dark place for a couple of months and enjoy. Save one or two of you strongest bulbs for the next season. Most nurseries should have starter bulbs to get you going. (not sure if you can use commercial varieties.)
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Cool, thanks for the tips..!

Why put garlic away for a while? Is it any different when it's dug up fresh?
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

You put the bulbs away to dry out the plant and prevent rotting. I hang mine in the Garage for about 6 weeks before using and place the excess in a mesh bag in the pantry. :D
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

schitzengiggles wrote:Over the summer I had a tomato vine in a pot. It was bought for me as a present. Awesome present!

This was the first thing I'd ever grown. I absolutely loved it, and will be planting lots more this summer.

Having used the last of the sauce I made tonight, I'm wondering what I can plant now in pots to keep me amused 'til it's time to plant my tomatos again.

Any suggestions anyone?

To try something a bit different you could grow some of next summers tomatoes from the seed of a tomato you have. you could try growing them in a punnet on the window ledge remembering to keep them moist starting during September or later on (October / November) simply in a spot in the garden and transfer them when about 6 inches high. Last summer I had a tomato going off so just squashed it out and buried it, got 10 - 12 plants from it.
Tomatoes can be very hardy, one year I had one come up in a crack between the concrete and the brick house wall, northside, it pruduced quite a lot.