Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Post by Lily »

Well I'm going to have a bit of a whinge today - people doing things last minute annoy the heck out of me (especially when they get grumpy at me for their tardiness!). Can I just say to anyone reading, if you're planning on moving any time between now and the end of January,

GET YOUR QUOTES AND BOOK YOUR REMOVALIST NOW!!!

(and don't get narky at me when I have to tell you everyone's booked out on your settlement day!)

To quote Karl, "That is all!" :laughing:
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Point Cook- or somewhere in Northern or Western Victoria!!!

Post by samueliza »

Lily- I couldnt agree more! Being a rep and selling furniture to schools, i know exactly what you mean! Everyone expects their furniture next week- we are so fully booked out that we cant deliver unitl March! They then get narky and put unreasonable demands on you- when we have been warning them for months that they need to get in early.

Message to schools who have not purchased furniture for their new BER buildings- HURRY UP OR BE PATIENT!

End rant.

Thanks Lily.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

LMAO, so glad someone else feels my pain :laughing: I'm a rep too, as you can probably tell from my post :P So frustrating sometimes!

Ahhh, so you're a rep, I wondered what you did (though you've probably mentioned it before, sorry, I've a memory like a sieve sometimes lol). You'd be flat out with all the new building works going on, wouldn't you?
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by samueliza »

Yes Lily- im a rep. (account manager sounds better eh?)

Basically i spend my days speaking to principals at schools about furniture- woo hoo!

No, but seriously i actually really love it. I especially love the country trips. I cover the northern subs of melbourne, ballarat, bendigo,horsham mildura-so a fair portion of the state. We cannot keep up with demand atm. We have never been so busy , but at the same time, as you say, people have never been so impatient. I must say though, have made my budget very convincingly the last 3 months, so have got a few extra $$$ to spend on xmas prezzies for the kids!!!I

So what is it that you sell?
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Removals *yawns* :hysteria: Actually, I shouldn't say that, it's a really good job and good industry once you know what you're doing. I also do training around the country and get involved in the IT side of things (development of the tool we use to gauge volumes, writing user manuals, etc.). I've been trying to find another job for some time though as the work is quite adhoc and not enough to rely on for income (one minute you're flat chat, the next you'll go for a week, sometimes more, with no work at all).

I just find it very hard to find flexible work to fit in around the kids, lots of employers claim to be "family friendly" but when it comes to the crunch and you're looking for part time work, the reality is that business rarely consider it (except for in basic admin/customer service type roles). It's incredibly frustrating when you have a wealth of knowledge and skills but you can't utilise them because companies don't see the benefit of part time employees. I was even referred to a business by (a lovely!) person on here who apparently support part timers, but even they didn't respond to my resume lol. It's the same old story, I'm "too qualified" and will "get bored" in less skilled roles - but surely that's my decision to make?! Gah! Don't get me started :P
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by samueliza »

Forgive me for sounding "out there", but have you ever considered doing Tupperware? I know it sounds tacky and corny, but there is so much $$$ in it and its really flexible around the kids. Ironically, my wife is seriously looking into it at the moment and she was approached to become a rep today (though she is quite shy), but was considered a perfect candidate for the role. You can host parties whenever you have flexible time- after kids in bed etc..... and can rake in up to $800+ per party. Ive always been sceptical about these things but its actually great for mums! -and especially if you already have a sales background. I sound like im recruiting for them, im not, its just a very topical conversation in our home at the moment and we may well consider it.
Im over qualified for my job aswell. It frustrates me that i have a business degree and im a sales rep, but i am trying to work my way up the small corporate ladder- i suppose being a mum and not having the benfit of being able to work full time does make it more difficult though. I hear ya Lily.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

LOL, I did do something similar when my eldest was a baby, but I never saw the sort of dollars that were purported to be "normal" earnings when I signed up! To be honest, the running around, the paperwork, the petrol and the order muck ups really made the money I earned seem much less appealing when you took all the hours you worked into account. But they don't tell you about that bit when they're selling it to you ;) I'm sure it works for some people, but it didn't work for me though I can see the benefits of it for people with little ones.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

So I'm driving along minding my own business in Nazza Wazza today (Narre Warren lol), when a couple of guys in a Falcon decide to do a u-turn across two lanes of traffic right in front of me, causing me to get onto my brakes in a hurry.

I didn't toot them or say anything, gesture, nothing, just reacted by appling my brakes, then continued driving behind them. As they straightened up from the u-turn right in front of me, the passenger stuck his arm straight up out of the window and flipped the bird at me.

What the? Bizzarro! :laughing:
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Sheeeeeeeesh Lily that's the type of behaviour you'd expect in Cranbourne!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

But I hate those types, especially when they're in the wrong. :x
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

It didn't really bother me, Moo, didn't think much of it except for reacting to them cutting me off. I just thought it was really weird that they flipped the bird at me LOL.

Have to add this story to my collection of "Close Encounters of the Huntsman Kind" because I know how much Karl loves it.

Was in a lady's house today, she walked past her buffet and her hand brushed against some books sitting on top, not realising in the process that she'd actually scooped up a huntsman. It went flying through the air between us, went "thwack" on the floor, she started screaming, I ran out of the room and the husband came running to see what the commotion was all about. I advised him to quickly source his nearest Age in order to eradicate the ugly thing (I was instructing him from the other room rofl).

The lady then told me about the time she had a huntsman down her top. Felt something, looked down inside her top, saw hairy legged cretin, screamed whilst ripping off her clothes... in the meantime, the builders who were on her property at the time came running in to find her screeching and stark naked from the waist up. I nearly wet myself when she told me :hysteria:
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

No-where else to put it... Peter Siddle just got a hat-trick in the Ashes! Well done to the big fella! One for the Vics!! Congratulations! :woooo:
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

That was friggin awesome to watch Harley! For once I turned the telly on when the action was happening. Just hope we can get some runs & a good lead & teach those blardy poms a lesson!!! :D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Siddle's hat trick was sensational :D I loved the look on Xavier Doherty's dad's face when he took his first wicket. First test wicket I think? The look on his dad's face was priceless :)
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Yes & his Dad teared up when he was handed his baggy green. :cry: Overall a great day for us in the cricket!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Dont forget to VOTE.... !
Sure there is a fine if you dont..?
Oh yeah rates installment due too..
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

Oops! Wish I read your post last night Michelle.
I forgot to vote today.
Been sick all day anyway.
Question? Why do they call it morning sickness when it lasts all bloody day and night?
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Question? Why do they call it morning sickness when it lasts all bloody day and night?
An illness named by a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look on the bright side it wont last longer than 9 months!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

mad*moo73 wrote:
An illness named by a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look on the bright side it wont last longer than 9 months!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
sleep deprivation 12 months after vomiting for nine, aahhh kids are easy..
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

... then add to that STILL getting woken up in the middle of the night to vomiting children 8 years after morning sickness hits (and subsequently cleaning up vomit from kitchen sink because said 8 year old thought that was the best place to do it. Errrrr, what?! :? ).

Parents are awesome creatures :laughing:
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Nice Humm of mowers out there before dark tonight.
I wasn't taking a chance to miss the opportunity.