Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
karenamelia
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Post by karenamelia »

Mossies are bad here too I never usually get bitten BUT the little b...... have got me on 1 foot & 1 arm Our back yard was under water for a few days & I am thinking the old well is full & is a good breeding place
We have had some good news around Horsham with all the water the "experts" ? Have decided to fill some of our empty lakes instead of letting the farmers paddocks get flooded Green & Pine are getting water put in at the moment Bungalally Creek is flooded & Burnt Creek has busted its banks :D
karen in Horsham Vic
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Wow you got bitten, thats not normally like you..!
they must be hungry.!
One that got me on the front of the shin the other windy morning is a nasty looking lump.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Don't talk to me about the blinkin' mozzies! I have two on the back of my thigh at the moment, insanely itchy and double the size of a 50 cent piece. I'm taking antihistamine, they're that huge :?

Tired today, did heaps of work up at Eildon (including pumping out the pool that keeps filling with all this rain and becoming a mozzie breeding ground). Good news is our bathroom is finally in! So exciting, we've been without a shower in the ensuite since February LAST year (crazy insurance situation). So glad it's finally done :)
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

While there are mosies everywhere, today I got stung by a bloody bee, I was walking down the local oval and it flew into my hand and stung me! Also took like 5mins to get the stinger out , lucky I'm not elergic. ;)
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Sorry Lily,

I am hopeless when it comes to the internet. I am flat out with kinder this year and I don't cope too well with my life being broken into three hour blocks of time. My eldest is in school so I am getting a real taste of what it is like being a taxi service! :) Next year my youngest is in kinder so it won't be for another 15mths before I get a decent block of time to myself. Does anyone else feel like they are always starting a task, have to stop to pick up a kid or do something else and that nothing ever gets finished? :(

Edit: Just had a look at the prep timetable and the kinder timetable :o :o :o Our kinder does staggered start sessions for the first month. Each week the sessions get a bit longer. The school does an early finish for the first month and my daughter will be on a normal timetable. I think i'm about to learn how to live on an hour by hour schedule! :o :? :( :x But I will have that one hour to myself! :P
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

If you think it's bad now Monbulkian wait until you have teenagers!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :o Not only are you their taxi service you're an ATM aswell.

The first weeks of kinder/prep can be a PITA with starting/finishing times, especially if you have more than one child. My daughters primary school did the 2.30 early finish which was pointless if you had another child at the school finishing at 3.30pm. The year after my youngest finished prep the school changed to having Wednesday off instead the early finish!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Lol Madmoo. My middle child asked me the other day how he can get money so they're just starting to learn about it now. He was very cute asking if 20c was enough to buy him a donut. Was close to telling him maybe when I was a child. Remember the days when you could get a bag of mixed lollies from the milkbar for 20c? Those were the days. (Only because i was a sweet innocent child who did not have a care in the world). I'm sure that every stage has it's challenges. Kinder in it's wisdom next year has decided to have an 8:30 start one day and then another day it has a 4:30 finish. Helpful when school starts at 9 and finishes at 3:30. Oh well it's only for one year.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

You want to try fitting in kinder when you're working - it was pretty much impossible! I ended up enrolling my eldest in a kinder near grandma and she very kindly did the early pick ups, I finished in time to do afternoon pick ups on the days he started later and Fridays I didn't work. It was all too hard when my second became old enough for kinder - she stayed in childcare and I actually think the kinder program was better at the CC centre than at kinder. First term of school is a pain too, much the same juggling act!

As to the ATM comment, Moo - I lol'd :laughing:

SCI :o a bee! Can't stand them as I'm allergic to them. I had one fly in my window a few weeks ago when I was sitting at Monash at the lights, it landed in between my legs on the seat. You should have seen me jumping around and trying to keep the foot on the brake whilst trying to smack it with my shoe :P
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

I'm very grateful that I don't have to yet, maybe when the youngest is in grade 1. Bees freak me out. Was stung by a little bugger once, it was hiding in some washing on the line. Didn't know what got me at first, boy did that hurt. Glad I'm not allergic. Everyone's spider stories are a bit freaky :spider: :spider: :spider: Haven't had any inside here so far.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

We love a good spider story around here :rotfl: Well, most of us, except Karl :laughing: I actually had a spider count in my sig last year, I had that many close encounters with the ugly critters, including a couple having a bath with me - not pleasant!

I'm surprised you don't get many up there? Touch wood, I haven't had any huntsmans inside at home in ages, we get quite a few outside. Up at Eildon is another story UGH!!! I hate them, I really do, they give me the heebie jeebies :laughing:

You have two kids Monbulkian?
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Three kids Lily girl 7, boy 5 1/2, boy 4. Definately keep me busy.

The freakiest spider story I have heard is a parent using cotrol crying on her baby/toddler. Went in when the baby stopped crying and saw huntsman's legs around the edge of it's mouth.

Probably my worst was on a camping trip when I was 16. Camping in a shed on a property up in Navarre near Maryborough. One of the guys I was camping with promised me he would spray the shed and kill the spiders. Woke up the first morning and pulled one of my sleeping bags off to find a huntsman on the next sleeping bag crawling towards my face! :spider: :spider: :o :o :o I'm a bit of a tomboy but creepy crawlies freak me out.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Had a creepy drop down in front of me few days ago.
I open both wardrobe doors at once in my sons room and it just dropped past my face and scooted under a plastic box in the wardrobe.
Sprayed which I normally dont do, then saw him on the window heading out the way he probably come in,
not thinking much more about him until I got out the dressing gown gave it a shake and put it on the little tacker,
had a thought go through my mind then few seconds later I saw one very similar near the ldry door,
was this the one that was meant to go out the window.. hhmm.
had lots of them around lately, I hope they eat mozzies..
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

he baby stopped crying and saw huntsman's legs around the edge of it's mouth.
NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!! Please tell me, urban myth? Ugh, stop with the spidey stories, you two :laughing: It's creeping me out.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Had a huntsman at work last week. Thankfully the maintenance man was at the centre at the time & "disposed" of it. Otherwise it would have been interesting to see how a group of women who work in a childcare centre who hate spiders would have got rid of it! :spider: Speaking of spiders I have a huge web that goes from the side fence to the side of my house, it has some speckly coloured medium sized spider living in it. It's quite impressive & can stay there though I might regret that if I walk into the bloody thing one night!
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

mad*moo73 wrote: :spider: Speaking of spiders I have a huge web that goes from the side fence to the side of my house, it has some speckly coloured medium sized spider living in it. It's quite impressive & can stay there though I might regret that if I walk into the bloody thing one night!
Does it look like this?? (Sorry Karl!)

We had this beauty in our backyard a few years ago. Built a massive web joining the clothesline to the Liquid Amber tree! The Orb spider would come out at night, and often it's web would be destroyed in the day by either me (unintentionally...I had to hang out the washing!), or the wind, and it would be back the next night. Since I got rid of the tree...and the house...I haven't seen it since! :laughing:
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

And my Arachnophobia is kicking in
fortius quo fidelius
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Yes it does look like that Stormy, I thought it may have been an Orb spider but couldn't bring myself to google spider pics to find out! :o
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Dc449 wrote:And my Arachnophobia is kicking in
ROFL :hysteria: Spidey senses going off lol?

Someone gave my car a "hug" with their car today while I was parked on the side of the road and scraped all along the front side area. It's only a new car! :( :( :(
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

you'll be good with Insurance companies Lily.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh hell yeah, they love me. They keep ringing me and offering me life insurance as well :sccary: :rotfl: