Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by Lily »

What he said ^^^^^^ :applause:

Big, big welcome to you Pete, can't wait to read more from you. Jump right on into the WA weather area, start your own threads and join in the fun! Great to have you aboard :D
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Hello one and all, my name is Geoff, married to Jane with two gorgeous daughters aged 9 and 6, living on 5 acres of paradise up on top of the Dandenongs.
Our block comprises of about 2 acres of fabulous rainforest with a creek running through, a couple of acres of paddocks (where the girls keep their ponies), and about an acre of beautiful European stlye gardens around the house (which we open to the public during the spring festival up here in October).
I'm a Pom from Southampton, who met Jane while she was on the UK leg of a round-the-world adventure. We bought a lovely little 300 year old cottage there and started our family, but soon decided that Australia was a better place for kids to grow up. Jane is from Melbourne, and I lived here for two years as a schoolkid when my family emigrated in 1969 (but went back). It was during that spell that I decided to keep a record of the Australian weather to compare it to the weather in Southampton as a school project, and I've been a weather nerd ever since (40-odd years!). Actually, Southampton and Olinda's weather are pretty similar, a bit hotter here in the summer and not quite as cold in winter (however, I had the first and only "White Christmas" in my life in Olinda in 2006 when it snowed on Christmas Day!!! :roffl:
I've been gardening professionally for 30 years, and won a UK National award in 1994 for my work on a 20 acre landscape garden. I'm currently head gardener at one of the finest gardens in Australia, in Olinda.
I look forward to sharing my weather experiences in Olinda with you all, we certainly get a LOT of it up here!!! :thumbsup: :redguy: :banana: :woooo:
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Welcome on board Geoff!! It sounds like you are quite the green thumb!! Your property sounds like paradise and would love to see some pictures/visit it one day!!

Hopefully we get some more snow for you!! :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Geoff, welcome to the AWF :) I live in Ferny Creek, been there for 26 years so not that far from you. Your gardens and job sound fantastic and that you are right in your element. I remember when it snowed on Christmas Day in 2006, I was in Sydney for Christmas but my son was home and he was very cold and miserable as we lost electricity that day unfortunately. It's OK he's 30, so he wasn't home alone. We'd love for you to share your weather experiences with us. Good luck for snow tonight and tomorrow :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

We posted at the exact same time Karl :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Welcome once again Geoff. I have a nine year old little girl who would be green with envy to hear that you have a couple of ponies up there - she would LOVE it if we could move to a property like that, you lucky things :D

Your little slice of paradise sounds beautiful the way you've described it, you'll have to let us know when it's open :) And pics! Don't forget the pics! We have a saying around here "Pics or it didn't happen" so the pressure's on you now :laughing:

Great to have you with us, did you lurk long or just find us and join up?
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Many thanks Robyn, Karl and Lily,
As requested, just one photo of part of our garden as a taster for you.
Spring 2008 (62) (Small).JPG
Spring 2008 (62) (Small).JPG (102.8 KiB) Viewed 16277 times
Lily, I'm sure it would be fine for you to visit sometime, and for our 9 year olds to have some "pony time" together :thumbsup: (he says without consulting the boss, who is out at the moment) :o We should keep it in mind for when the weather is a bit better!

Yes, I have to admit I've been a lurker in the shadowy corners for aaaages, early WZ days way back when Karl was still in nappies! :roffl: Thanks to the Internet I was following the English forums as well as the Aussie ones when we were still in the UK.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Bwahahahaha..... Karl.... in nappies.... :hahohi:

Absolutely gorgeous Geoff, thanks for the teaser :) You should know better than to organise stuff without the Boss's permission ;)

Oooohhhh, so do you do Open Gardens Victoria (or whatever it's called?) - I can feel an afternoon tea meet coming on - Robyn??? :P
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I am still in nappies but that is for another conversation lol!! :P

Your garden is amazing! I love the colours. I want to have a rainforest backyard too! I always wanted a thick conopy of trees and a lovely secret garden underneath.

I think we are all going to gate crash one day!! :P

It is great to finally have you on here Geoff. :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

I like your thinking, Karl - "Gate Crashers'R'Us" :roffl:
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

No, not the Open Garden Scheme as such, we open as part of the new "Springfest" event throughout the Dandenongs and Yarra Ranges during September and October, to raise money for the CFA. There's all sorts of events on, as well as open gardens there's food and wine, music and arts, family entertainments etc.
No good gatecrashing me then, you'll have to book and pay lots of money! I'm sure we can organise a nice cream tea afternoon on a warm sunny spring day for some of you lot in Oct/Nov, what do you reckon?
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Sounds awesome, Geoff, thank you for the invitation :D And hey, we don't mind supporting the CFA so happy to come along to that :)
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Hello did someone say party? I'll be having a piece of that action too please!!!!!!!

Your garden looks amazing Geoff & I too would love to see them when you have the open day. So keep us posted when that is coming up & the other events happening during the Springfest.

And welcome to the forum too!!!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I am all for a garden party!!! :P I will even wear a suit if I have too - to make it high tea!!! :P
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Oh gawd! This idea is evolving a monsterous life of its own!!! :roffl:
Actually it could be jolly fun if some wore their posh frocks/suits to make a grand occasion of it! I'll even have the flags flying in your honour (yes we have a flagpole, well it's a big old tree trunk but it does the job!)
I'll get something organised nearer the time! ;)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

*gasps* AN AWF FLAG!

lmao :hysteria:

ROFL at the idea of us lot at a "high tea" :P
Thunder
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Thunder »

Hello everyone, I am Lee(or Thunder-as you please) I am 28 years old, married, no kids,dogs or cats, just the garden, it takes enough looking after at the moment! I like nature alot, namely just being there cos it's away from work! My other interests include rum, coke and steak and my work...sucks! ;)

I have been around here leeching information of everyone for the last few months(Thanks!), but I thought I should atleast post and say hello while I am learning from everyone.

Never really had too much interest in the weather until a few years ago,I have always liked lightning though, then again who doesn't? I have only just started learning(trying to) the technical side of weather....of which I am useless, total weather numb nut! But anyway I like to think I can read conditions sometmes, but it really never works out well for anyone involved so to everyone if you see me post something dumb, please correct me!

As per a comment last page by RWM, I am from the deep north, located at Kelso(the sunny upper ross), Townsville. Right near the Ross River Dam if anyone wanted to know??? :P

Ree is the person who actually led me here(If you read this Ree-I never said thaks for the link, so thankyou!) But you have all been great reading for me! RWM thanks too for your help in the past and keeping the Nth QLD area Thread going, just one question, who will take it when you go? :(

stay well everyone!

Lee
You're only as happy as you choose to be....I choose to be miserable! :-)

Rainfall Townsville 2013
Jan-301.6(276.4) Feb-63.6(307.1)
YTD-365.2(1150.9)

Rainfall 2012
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Lee :wave: Welcome to the AWF. Glad you find this site interesting and thanks Ree for pushing Lee in this direction :) It's good to have more people from up north.
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by retiredweatherman »

Thunder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 pm wrote:
Thunder wrote:
As per a comment last page by RWM, I am from the deep north, located at Kelso(the sunny upper ross), Townsville. Right near the Ross River Dam if anyone wanted to know??? :P

RWM thanks too for your help in the past and keeping the Nth QLD area Thread going, just one question, who will take it when you go? :(

stay well everyone!

Lee
I hang up my thermometer here on 30 Nov and hopefully put it out again at Victoria Point in the SE Qld thread in time for the start of 2012. So Lee it sounds like you have just written a job application to keep the NQ thread going. So consider yourself hired... :woooo:
Thunder
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Thunder »

Thank you for the welcome Rivergirl(or do you prefer Robyn?). :wave:

I like this place alot so thankyou to Karl for running it and to everyone else who contributes and posts! :)

To quote myself.....

"I have only just started learning(trying to) the technical side of weather....of which I am useless, total weather numb nut!"

I don't know RWM, sounds less like an application and more like a Warning: Do Not Hire! ...... :sccary:

In all seriousness though they are some HUGE shoes to fill just to begin with! I would be more than happy though to keep going what you started but am not making any prmoises on sunset pictures! I would also have to change the post times for ob's might have to make them 9pm-9pm because of work??? Ob's would be from a LaCrosse WS-2813....when installed, I will try to make the 30th Nov deadline...which brings me too this, so sad to see you go! I hope Victoria Point treats you well and hopefully you would still drop by the NQ thread and kick me in the right direction once in a while???? God knows I will need it! ;)
You're only as happy as you choose to be....I choose to be miserable! :-)

Rainfall Townsville 2013
Jan-301.6(276.4) Feb-63.6(307.1)
YTD-365.2(1150.9)

Rainfall 2012