Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

(Too) Specific Household Appliances

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

(Too) Specific Household Appliances

Post by blackmamba »

I'm not sure if it's because I've only lived out my parents house for just over a year, or because I'm seeing/hearing of them more. But I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a definite surge in people flogging off a lot of new appliances that simply exist for one thing?

Things like:
Popcorn Maker (as opposed to a stove or microwave?)
Snow Cone maker (can be done with a blender, dude!)
Pizza Oven (can be done with a normal oven, though I'm thinking of investing in one of these since I always seem to stuff my bases up.)

The reason I ask is that yesterday afternoon, while shopping with my wife we came home with a 'cup cake maker'. At the time, we did have a small think about it. But hey, we both like cupcakes so we said YOLO (Image) and we brought it.

We also brought a packet of Cupcake mix, just to really make a statement about our laziness.

Anyway.
Thoughts?
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: (Too) Specific Household Appliances

Post by Rivergirl »

My husband says the pizza oven is the best thing I ever won. I won a lot of trips when I was comping so that was a big statement. Mind you we just use the instant pizza bases. He likes the small round ones cause you can make a few different ones.

But yes, you're right. I know we have bought things that we just don't use anymore and can be done by other means

Enjoy your cupcakes :)
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

Oh, we will.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

hahahaha cupcake maker :P How does that work? Love baking, made some red velvet cupcakes on the weekend, yum... Btw Robyn thats cool that you won things! I know the instant bases are convenient (and still use), but pIzza bases are fairly quick and easy to make! core ingredients - flour, water and yeast :) Use the basic yeast dough alot at school.

Have a slurpee maker i just remember that isnt used much!
Go the bombersss!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

A slurpee maker!!?? Oh my goodness! I think I should open a AWF cafe or something!!! WIth a view!!??!

It is amazing how things have evolved in the past 10yrs. I wish I were a kid all over again, because we had nothing like that!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Yeah a slurpee maker hahaha, it needs too much rock salt to allow freezing, so its a bit annoying!
Go the bombersss!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

See these machines are great in theory but they suck for practicality sakes!! But still what a cool idea to have one for a hot summers day!! And for those days where you just feel like bouncing off the walls!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

nafets » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 pm wrote:
nafets wrote:hahahaha cupcake maker :P How does that work?
I took it for it's first spin last night.
It didn't leave the best first impression.

Basically, what it is, is kind of like the same thing you'd put in the oven...and a toaster's lovechild.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Lol'ing at this thread, funny!

OK, what tragic things have we had? The donut maker has to be one of the worst (never, ever worked!), the waffle maker a close second. I've never succumbed to a popcorn maker, but I would not be without a sandwich maker (yes, you can use the grill but a sandwich maker/grill press just seems to be nicer). The pizza oven is worth it, makes a beaut pizza, would recommend using pita bread as a base, give it a try! BUT! You can do the same job as a pizza oven by transferring from grill to sandwich press if you want to save cupboard space and $$$

I would NOT, without a doubt, be without my coffee machine. But I don't count my coffee machine as being a part of "useless" kitchen appliances, therefore I probably shouldn't insult my little caffeiny friend by mentioning it in this thread lol. I couldn't live without it <3
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Yes, we've been pretty picky about faddy kitchen appliances. Actauuly just received from my brother a bread maker - now this is something I have wanted for years. I actually know people who use them just to make batches of dough, then split it up, freeze and then put in the oven when needed - that sounds like a great idea to me! Can't wait to wake up to the smell of fresh bread on saturday morning!

Yes Lily, sandwich press is used several times a week for us, cant beat it (my son still doesn't understand why we butter the outside of the bread though! And the popcorn maker is actually a very good idea, we use it quite frequently and is a fairly healthy and filling snack when not dripping in butter/salt/toffee ;)

And coffee machine?? don't even go there. Life would end if that failed. Our dishwasher died some 3 months ago - that I can live with until we can afford a new one, but coffee machine? i'd be first in line at The Good Guys to buy a new one should that fail lol ;)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I cannot believe the things people have in their kitchen! I cannot wait till I get my house going....I am going to deck it out with everything with the intention of using it! In reality I think I am going to hire a maid ahahahahhaah!

No - I think having options is good. It is like when I go out for groceries, I like to think I am going out for what is on my mental list, but then it turns into all the things I might want to have, and I come home with so much more.

Having all these appliances could be good, but I think I would be bringing home so much more from the supermarket than what I really need.

But a must in the kitchen is a deep fryer!!!!
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Haha Karl - that's such a dutch thing! Although we have been thinking of buying one for a while, but sooo unhealthy
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

It is totally a dutch thing!! I love it! We would batter everything from vegetables, to candy to fruit!! Mmmmmmmm amazing!!!

Those days of super fatness are over!
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

And coffee machine?? don't even go there. Life would end if that failed. Our dishwasher died some 3 months ago - that I can live with until we can afford a new one, but coffee machine? i'd be first in line at The Good Guys to buy a new one should that fail lol
OMG I love my dishwasher, life would be over if my dishwasher died. Since I have moved out of home I have never lived without one & have no intention of ever doing so!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh Moo, they're called kids, my dear, kids! :P :thumbsup: :peaceout:
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Lily » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 pm wrote:
Lily wrote:Oh Moo, they're called kids, my dear, kids! :P :thumbsup: :peaceout:
As if Lily, I have two teenagers remember!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Moo,

That means they are maids :P And they are free slaves :P
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Karl Lijnders » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 am wrote:
Karl Lijnders wrote:Moo,

That means they are maids :P And they are free slaves :P
Ok Karl, I'll send my slaves over to your place & see how that works out for you! :hysteria: :roffl: :hahohi:
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

Lily » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:06 pm wrote:
Lily wrote:Oh Moo, they're called kids, my dear, kids! :P :thumbsup: :peaceout:
I wish mine was old enough to pitch in with the dishes.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Moo, they would die at my boot camp!! I tell my nieces and nephews, 'there is only room for one attitude and that attitude is mine!'

Doesn't go down to well, especially when they are only 3 years old and 1 year old, but you got to start them young :P