Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Rikki Pool-Reports and Pics.

Enter here to see some stunning photography from our Australian Weather Forum members.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Rikki Pool-Reports and Pics.

Post by wolfcat »

great shots....
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

That's strange, I commented on these amazing pics last night but it's gone. Anyway I thought these were awesome as usual Rik
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Here is a more abstract shot... not sure if I like this editing or not yet.... but will see.
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

As the blackboard would say, upside down upside down and hurry up lol I like how the tree and it's reflection make up a diamond shape. Good shot rik, I got some reflection shots though not sure if there worth putting up or making a thread for shots I have etc. still contemplating ;)
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Some pictures from around Shepparton today 8/9/10.
This is close to the peak of the floods...

This is from Waranga Drv, Kialla Lakes, looking over Seven Creeks.

These are from Raftery Rd, Kialla Lakes, looking over Broken River. I was here a week ago, and standing on the bridge that you can see the Black and white reflecters of and the water was lapping the bridge...Image

And this is the view from the main HWG from Shepparton to Mooroopna. One one side of the road is flooded all through from one town to the other.....

And the other side of the road the golf Driving range is totally submerged...

And the Goulbourn River from the bridge at Mooroopna. The bridge is now closed, I was over this bridge a week ago
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

A couple of older photo's that you've all seen, But i wanted to try them in Black and white.... Let me konw what you think.

r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

John, just Used Adobe Lightroom. As I mentioned on my Facebook page, im very new at this style of editing. So please Comment away. :)
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Hey Rikki, i think the big Cb works the best for me in terms of many elements working together.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Love the b&w Rik. There is a lot of software out there also for b&w conversion, so many different effects to be had.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Agreed, that last B+W is possibly the best image I have seen in many years, very nice work Rikki. :D
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Wow, thanks Guys. :)

Something a bit different from me. I went out to listen to a good friend of mine sing in a band and took some photo's for them. Let me know what you think, as Portraits are not my strong point, however I am happy with the way these turned out. :)

Thanks. :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Love the 2nd one Rik. Some lovely captures there
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Last one is awesome!!! You need to come and do a shoot for me one day down here!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Well I think they're all bloody terrific! Especially 1st, 2nd & last.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Lol Lily. Thank you very much.

Thank you to everyone else for your feedback as well. :)
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

what were your main settings Rikki, they look great! very nice exposure throughout, and nice colour rendition too...spot on.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

From 7th November 2010

Ok, here are the pics I did manage to snap. Nothing Spectacular, but shows how it all started at least.

This first shot from Axedale, a 180degree view of the Line as it was building over Bendigo.

A Closer look at one of the embedded cells.

After I tried to chase it around, I ended up pulling along side of the line just outside of heathcote. It was moving to quick, and I was in the wrong spot to start with, add that to some wrong turns and I lost it. Anyway, this is looking through Heathcote at the back end of a nice Heavy Core.

And this is the Backend of a Strong rotating updraught looking from Heathcote over towards Kynton Way. 5 min after taking these pics, I swear I saw a wall cloud form, but was just in the totally wrong area to try and take pics of it with lots of trees around.

And on the way home, snapped these couple of the backend of the cell that John and Brad are on, and have reported a wall cloud near Violet Town.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Terrific pics Rik, I learn from your descriptions. Well done :)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

So the day started out with massive convection and a nice cell in NSW around 10am. I managed to get off of work around 11:30, and my target was Colbinabbin to try and intercept the cell that was coming down from NSW.

As I got to the hills SE of Colbinabbin there were already some nice cells firing down the Heathcote way.

As i got over the hills and headed down to Colbinabbin the cell was weakening, but still retained a nice wall cloud and heavy precip core behind.

This seemed to die off fairly quickly from what i thought, but as it was it went on to become the first line that hit melbourne this afternoon.
As I left here, I headed to the clear air to my north where I could see some fresh convection. In hindsight, I should have headed to Shepparton to intercept a cell that I could not catch later on... but ah well. After grabbing a bight to eat at Elmore, I headed down the Rushworth road to core punch through a small cell to get to a multicell line that was coming down from swan hill.
The multicell line was behind this. However the road unknowingly turned to dirt. I weighed up my chances and decided to try my luck. This "storm" that was in front of my was dying rapidly...
As it was i hit some recent flash flooding, and decided to turn around there and then. I was not going to risk that at all...

So turning around I saw a huge CB going up in the distance and decided to try my luck at catching it. This was taken at 200mm...
At nearly 200km away, I headed back to Elmore, up to Rochester, and on towards Kyabrahm. A couple of wrong turns, otherwise I may have met it head on... but it was alot of ground to cover. The first initail CB suddenly had a twin, and these 2 were shooting up in clear air like crazy! Rock hard updraughts with certain rotation in them. Hazey skies from abundant moisture made it hard to photograph, but you get the idea.
As I got closer, i could make out 3 levels of rotation on the front cell. Once again, haze made it hard to see, and being over 60km away from it still. This cell dropped mulitple wall clouds from what I saw. The next few pics are taken over 10min...

I decided to turn around and head back to Bendigo as I couldnt catch these storms. As I got back towards Collbinabbin I noticed another like had built up and was lining up Bendigo. As I rushed towards it, I noticed a very nice green tinge, like the last couple of cells. I stopped just NW of Colbinabbin to snap this 12 image Panorama.
Pushing on a little further, I stopped to see if I could catch a bolt with the lightning trigger, but alas the lightning was behind the rain curtain. I had yet to see a single bolt (And never did for that matter, bucket loads of thunder, but not a single bolt.)
I decided to let it pass over me, with another 6image Panorama, and closer look at the main core...
Note the nice rotation in center of picture. I counted 6 of these whilst under the band.

So 400km, 250 pictures, Loads of rain, a couple of nice wall clouds, no CG's, and an insane amount of dead locusts later I pulled into Bendigo.
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. :D
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Hey Rikki,

what a brilliant chase!! Love your photos....Jane
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)