Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Warm with a rainband: Sept 12-13

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Warm with a rainband: Sept 12-13

Post by Sean »

Well, got to hand it to the GFS... it nailed where the heaviest rain would fall (again).

A respectable 20mm here. End of next week looking interesting, but lots of shuffling going on.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

21mm here, Cerberus 15km to the south from here had 42mm
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

10mm here. On the lower end of expectations but better than nothing! GFS was closest in forecasting this event.

Lovely, mild sunny day now.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Bit of drizzle and fog this morning, dragging us to about 22mm for the event.

Few nice days ahead then a big cutoff low that throws a series of troughs over us. The system looks like being a big rain producer for inland parts, perhaps our first big La Niña system :D Vic is complicated with a series of fading troughs. Could be some decent storms, particularly around this time next week.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

It all looks a bit messy next weekend. But if it hangs around it could add up to something decent if GFS is to be believed...
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Indeed. Totals and bullseye(s) are moving around wildly, but EC and GFS have been convinced something is brewing for days now.

Time for a new thread?
3030WX
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 3030WX »

I saw a reference to Truganina in an earlier post, so here is an update on the recent rain event.

The 2 day rainfall total in Truganina ( to 9.00 am Sunday 13/9 ) was 20.4 mm.

This compares well with the nearby Laverton BoM AWS with 19.4 mm, and the Melbourne Water gauge on Skeleton Creek with 21.0 mm.

A bit further south where the biggest falls occurred, Avalon received 47.8 mm, Lara 50.4 mm and Geelong 47.0 mm.
Current weather at Truganina

Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. - Kin Hubbard
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

16mm here for the event a lot less than I was expecting but big falls further south with a number of locations seeing the wettest Sept day on record

GFS nailed it with the heavy band much further south while EC and AXS C had it over east Melb
Awesome event for the parts of the Wimmera and much of the SW and southern parts of the Central areas with many getting 25 to 40mm

Nice to see most get at least 5 to 15mm with an active few weeks ahead and a big cut of low later this week with big rain and storms in SA, NSW and Qld

Fri to Mon looking Warm and Humid so getting a bit excited about that, stroms also look to grace Vic on a couple of days too
What a great Sept this is shaping up to be normally we getting punsihed by fronts and its still cold but this year straight to sping love it.

Warm humid active few weeks ahead get excited :D :D
Bring on the heat and stroms
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

3030WX wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:27 pm I saw a reference to Truganina in an earlier post, so here is an update on the recent rain event.

The 2 day rainfall total in Truganina ( to 9.00 am Sunday 13/9 ) was 20.4 mm.

This compares well with the nearby Laverton BoM AWS with 19.4 mm, and the Melbourne Water gauge on Skeleton Creek with 21.0 mm.

A bit further south where the biggest falls occurred, Avalon received 47.8 mm, Lara 50.4 mm and Geelong 47.0 mm.
Oh yes that was me neighbour, moaning and groaning when all the rain was slipping south, we did ok in the end here in Truganina.

May I say you are doing an incredible job with your site and weather station readings, a great service to our community. I used to actively follow your reports back when you were down in Werribee.

I'm now only just up the road off Dohertys.
3030WX
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 3030WX »

WeatherViewer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:20 pm
Oh yes that was me neighbour, moaning and groaning when all the rain was slipping south, we did ok in the end here in Truganina.

May I say you are doing an incredible job with your site and weather station readings, a great service to our community. I used to actively follow your reports back when you were down in Werribee.

Thank you for the compliment. Since COVID-19 I've spent a lot of time to working on a variety of weather-related projects for the web site to keep the mind active.
Current weather at Truganina

Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. - Kin Hubbard
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

3030WX wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:02 am
WeatherViewer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Thank you for the compliment. Since COVID-19 I've spent a lot of time to working on a variety of weather-related projects for the web site to keep the mind active.
You are most welcome, please don't stop, you are doing a great job and your expertise is very appreciated. I hope you are keeping well during these trying times.