Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Thunderstorms are "predicted" for next Tues and Wed.....will it... or wont it.... Creeks are starting to dry up again, same thing happened last year and they were virtually dry.
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

I'm getting used to these 40°+ days, but it would be really nice to get a bit of rain again.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

A good thunderstorm rolled in last night when we were sitting out the back, ventured back to the front of the house to sit and watch the display. Not long later there was this massive flash..then BANG, a massive strike not more than a few ks away!
About 10 mins later one of the kids said "what is that glow on the hill? oh, it's fire" so we sat there and watched the fire burn for about 10 mins before it went out!
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Guess that shows how easily a bushfire can start from a lightening strike, YS..

Forecasts are showing that the coral see moisture might well bring some rain this week...fingers crossed..

Chilligoe must be getting a bit dry and dusty ATM, 28..?...no threat from bushfires out that way..?
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Dry at Chillagoe? Yes. Very. 40°+ every day. Gotten used to it this year. Creek is dry at the causeway again. My 2 citrus trees and mango are looking very sad with only getting water twice a week. Still got water restrictions brought in end 2017.

At least I don't have to get the yard mowed...

Even our phones are running hot. Had to remove cases! Bit freaky when battery temp is 44°C, when overnight it's 27°C.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

It is Unusual for here to be so dry, the grass is looking very Townsvill-ish only places that are in full shade are still green.
The BOM are still predicting thunderstorms from Tomorrow until Thursday, with 20-40mm predicted on Wed.

Yes, Scott it was amazing how quick it flared up! it died off, flared up again, then died off, i think the main thing that helped kill it was the wind were blowing it down hill, and the rain of course!

F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

G'Day weather watchers :)

Yep dry up here too, will be nice if we get a drink this week , Our creek is very low and starting to smell , will have to cart water soon if we don't get a good storm to freshen it up.

Cheers
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Waiting, waiting....

Blustery and overcast here....will we start seeing the first showers this evening...?

Wonder if it will reach inland areas or be confined to the coast..?

Bunyip is that water for stock or domestic....?

our creek is looking decidedly feral at the moment also with areas of green slime growing and very little flow......glad I put on a filter last year for our drinking water....
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

:) :)

A lovely 21mm overnight , it took it's time to come ashore yesterday , with the first few small scuds blowing in around 16:30 and then sitting just off the coast till just on dusk..

Scott , Our drinking water is poly tank and all good. It is drinking only...
I have 3x1000lt cubes all hooked together that I switch to in the wet season , They last a week or so and it's nice to shower in rain water when there is plenty.
The rest of the year it's creek water , great for most of the year and in some years good all through. But last year and this we have not had a build up flush and it is now fairly smelly and discoloured. Don't wash the whites lol .. Last year I carted water for a couple of weeks then we got 1700mm in December lol ..
Did have to cart back in 2010? as well , but it is only a few weeks so all good.
Stock water is creek for the most part , can use bore when it gets to low , but the pipelines don't come near our place.

Lets hope we get another couple of inches over the next day or so.

It is nice to get this rain but it would be great to see it all over the east coast , especially over the fire zones in the south.

Sorry 28 , it's not looking good for you out that far. :(

Cheers
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Only 2.5mm here ans showers off and on through the day.

Seems the fire did not go out after all, it must have been silently smouldering away for the last few days, as it went up again last night...we sat out the front last night, when one of the kids said "that glow is back on the mountain again..."

So we all traipsed out the back to watch it.

D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

28mm for this event so far. I almost detect a slight greening in the grass already.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

26 mm for us so far....with the radar clearing to the south

Would have been nice to get more but its better than nothing..

Bunyip who would think water would be complicated in the Wet Tropics...

and YS you sure you don't have a resident Hobo up the hill trying to dry a freshly harvested cannabis crop..?
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

23mm this morning :)

Yes things are greener already for sure Dormant ...

Still a few light showers blowing through :) But I think that it's basically done now .

Yeah Scott , If I had of known we would live here as long as we have I would of put more into it so it's not all a just enough to get by system.
The misses and I managed a station on the Nullarbor in a past life , 1000lt a week for everything , run out and have to wait till pump day,
stock came first out there. So we know we have it pretty good here and it will rain again soon.

Misses is in Sydney visiting our daughter for a few days as we can't do xmas , the smoke is horrendous , they were stuck in Manly yesterday as the ferries
were stopped as no visibility on the harbour, had to get overcrowded bus back to CBD. Just wish it would rain down that way... Bloody arsonists have started most of these fires.. It makes me so mad the lack of sentencing they get.

Have a great day folks .

Cheers
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Some nice storms firing up out the back right now...it would be nice to get a bit more although I can feel the season has finally changed and we should see an end to the dry weather on the coast and tablelands

Such a relief...the humidity has been insane the last few days though..
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

As usual, a blob right over us, and mostly getting occasional splatters. It "rained" for about 30 seconds. There IS water in the rain gauge, but not sure if it measures a whole millimetre. :cry:
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

G'day all :)

Great to see some familiar texts and tags here, been lurking in the background for a bit since the old place shut down.

So we have finally had some rain here this month, 16mm all up so far, all in the last week, Nov saw us get SFA and we have been hand feeding the cattle and horses since the end of Aug. Last year we had grass on the ground at this time thanks to some early rain. This year we have been raped with a pineapple on the cost of locally grown hay... but what do you do... watch your animals starve ?

We got 12.5 mm last last fri, 3.5 mm last night and maybe an extra 1mm this arvo so far.

Temps have been bloody horrible here in the shed , 43.5 yesterday, 42 here today with an average very high 30's to low 40's over the last couple of weeks. The termites are building like crazy tho so I expect some decent falls over the next week or so.

Nice to see some familiar old timers here, even though I've never met any of you.

Cheers.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

BTW the BOM radar is really over egging things yet again, They can call it Virga all they want but I have watched numerous cells pass by us only a few Km away that don't even drop the ubiquitous angel P**s!
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Bloody hell eh.. they will let any riff raff onto this forum it seems...lol

How ya going bloke...?..besides the dry I mean....and yeah I was talking to my uncle the other day and he has been trucking hay from Victoria to his place in NW NSW ….said its the worst hay he has ever seen...full of sticks and bits of metal and wire.....seems some farmers are cashing in on the dry by baling up anything resembling grass....farmers ripping farmers off...nice..!

Storms and showers forecast from mid week onward and we lost power for few hours on Saturday night during a pierce storm..lots of lightning ad thunder but no real rain for us though...

Thought I'd get a bit of spraying done this morning till I ran into a wasp nest in the creek..pulled me up pretty quick when I ran into it at face level and even got one stuck up my nostril ripping his stinger into my nasal passage lining.....feels like I have gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson..
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

I cannot begin to imagine how that must feel Scott. 😳😳
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

It did make my eyes water for a bit 28...

Still sore and swollen and even In my top set of gums ..

Sure glad it wasn't my missus though...given how allergic she is it would have been very nasty..

Anyway violets happens...it wont be the last time...I'm a bit of a wasp magnet..

Sure looking forward to this forecast southerly change with showers on Wednesday....bring it on..!