Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Yet another slow moving low pressure system: 12-16/11/21

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Yet another slow moving low pressure system: 12-16/11/21

Post by hillybilly »

Snow and hail on Bruny Island, from ski.com.au and The Mercury. Looks like mostly hail and graupel, but clearly some snow given the white on the fencing.

Two thumping graupel showers since 9am with another 5mm :D Tis a balmy 5C atm :D
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

To me, this wintery day 1/2 way through November is even more impressive than the flooding rain we got over the weekend, 10-12C between solid frequent wintery showers all day so far. I'd poured out 72.75mm late yesterday arvo, I'm sure I'll find another 5mm+ in there later this arvo.

We got within 8" of a moderate flood of the Macalister as the peak passed through Maffra yesterday afternoon, they are still letting out water at minor flood level from Lake Glenmaggie, trying to establish a buffer margin for the rain looming next weekend I bet.

To think they said it would never snow or rain enough to justify building dams again. It's all about the Sun, .....and more and more sane folk out there are starting to question the narrative relentlessly forced on us by woke media and government employees.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

7.3C here for a max, with 8mm of hail, graupel and rain since 9am. Event now over 60mm, mtd over 100mm.

That max looks to be the coldest here since a 6.3C back in. 2006. It snowed on that day here, but not today.

Another big rain event for next weekend :o

Btw 38.3C in Darwin today. New November record. Same day 2.9C in Hobart which is the coldest in 68 years.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Shame on the media for not reporting the snow event in Hobart properly or the significant cold outbreak across southern Australia since last Wednesday. Plenty of videos showing snow along the beach and in Hobart city today. Very remarkable for almost summer.

These cold events are getting more frequent it seems.

Had it been a warm event or even a small scrub fire, it would be almost front page news, with fancy stats on how it's the warmest something-something with a random date

There is definitely some sort of agenda out there, probably because there is still lots of money to be made from global "warming" alarmism.

Sorry, but it had to be said. I'm yet to be convinced that climate change is really as bad as it is made out to be.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Weatherzone quote:

"Melbourne’s maximum temperatures during last four days have been well below the long-term November average of 22ºC, reaching:

Friday: 14ºC

Saturday: 14.6ºC

Sunday: 15.3ºC

Monday: 13.5C

This is the first time in 167 years of records that Melbourne has had four days below 15.5ºC this late in spring"

----‐----------------- ---------------------

Canberra has also had 3 consecutive days under 14 degrees in November, for the first time since records bega 99 years ago.

Quite astounding really, considering the Urban Heat Island effect that didn't exist 167 years ago.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Coming up off the bay, is when we seem to Catch every drop.
Constant listening, yes raining…
Haven’t been consistent with emptying the gauge been a little too much to keep up with recently..

Samboz - under many gum trees that council won’t let you remove, when wind blows, we sleep in the furthurest room away from towering gums. Having taken it as a warning on day 2 in new home when branch took out power line landed on car and it was settlement day.. inflating beds that self deflate 4 hours in add to the annoyance..
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Plenty of rain here at work and at home, band is quite narrow though. As for snow in Hobart, more energy (heat) in a system will increase volatility. Climate change is settled science.
Now, anyone want to talk about the wet weekend coming up?
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:45 pm Shame on the media for not reporting the snow event in Hobart properly or the significant cold outbreak across southern Australia since last Wednesday. Plenty of videos showing snow along the beach and in Hobart city today. Very remarkable for almost summer.

These cold events are getting more frequent it seems.
In Hobart it’s snowed in November in 1864, 1880, 1913, 1941 and 1965. It’s snowed in December twice in 1906. So it used to happen this later or later ever twenty years or so. Not now. A casual look at old photos of the alps show extraordinary snow depths we don’t come close to nowadays. I saw a lot on the snow in my feed and loved it all :D

There’s excellent snow data for Hobart. It used to snow two to three times a year. Now it snows every year or two. Not sure whether yesterday was a snow day. Seems some parts near sea level had a flake or two, some not. Our new place had heavy snow about 6am but didn’t settle.

I really wish you were correct. It would be ace if ripper cold outbreaks were getting bigger, better and more frequent.

Rain continues here. 15mm in the gauge. That’s almost 75mm for the event.
s
samboz
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by samboz »

"Any hints on a air bed that doesn’t loose air.." Typo ? Or looking at other brands? Might have misunderstood yr meaning, apols :)

Apply patch, leaks are most annoying, or get foam swag type mattresses :D

I have an EXPED air mattress, folds up very small, bit pricey but best ever used.

Surely an Arborist report to point out the dangers of Sudden Limb Failure + a previous example in situ would carry yr argument, having
said that greenie Councils can be totally impractical.

SALE is still cleaning up after the big winds 29th Oct, been a period of cold, wet n windy last few weeks.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Incredible rains in British Columbia, Canada at the moment caused by an "atmospheric river" coming off the Pacific Ocean. Record rainfall, flooding and chaos.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

stevco123 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:21 am Weatherzone quote:

"Melbourne’s maximum temperatures during last four days have been well below the long-term November average of 22ºC, reaching:

Friday: 14ºC

Saturday: 14.6ºC

Sunday: 15.3ºC

Monday: 13.5C

This is the first time in 167 years of records that Melbourne has had four days below 15.5ºC this late in spring"

----‐----------------- ---------------------

Canberra has also had 3 consecutive days under 14 degrees in November, for the first time since records bega 99 years ago.

Quite astounding really, considering the Urban Heat Island effect that didn't exist 167 years ago.
I'll go against the flow and half agree with your earlier comments steveco. Climate change is real and we need to do something about it to stem the tide. BUT it is bloody annoying how there seems to be a broad prohibition on being too enthusiastic publicly about cold events. If the last few days had been a one-in-50 year heatwave, it would be front page news, no question. But a cold wave? Shhh... we don't want to give Andrew Bolt any ammo.

I've said before, it's possible to be amazed and even worried about cold events (this current one is killing a lot of sheep locally) without being a climate change denier!

Back on topic, and hoping we get a bit of a 'mild wave' over the next few days. I am going to feel very silly ordering firewood at the end of November, and I've now burned or the dry stuff I've cut myself :? .
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Just tipped out another 20.75mm since last report on Sunday, takes us to 77mm over the past week.

Had some heavy showers again during the night and we’re still getting light showers here today but otherwise seems to be finally clearing.

Will have to run the numbers but think we’re now over 100mm for the month. What a bumper spring it’s been rain wise!
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Found another 9mm in the gauge late yest, so 81mm here, and some flooding, for this event.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

So bloodly cold and wet, another 23mm last 3 days not sure for the week near 40 or 50mm I think and about 250mm since Oct 1st so wet with lots more this weekend.

Cold out there very much like July than Nov atm sure you cold lovers loving it
Bring on the heat and stroms
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

I must say this cold weather is very comfortable compared to 2 years ago when we were being blow-torched...
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Launceston reached 16.9 degrees today. State high was Devonport 18 degrees and Cressy 18 degrees
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

9.1C here for a max with a further 0.4mm. Fog has finally cleared.

New thread time. Low inbound for Thursday and Friday.

Another big rain event showing up for later in the weekend. Hopefully EC doesn’t stick as it has a 985hPa low tracking across the state. Last thing we need :o