Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Big rain event 12-14 October

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Big rain event 12-14 October

Post by Didjman »

97mm here so far
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

59mm all up for here.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas rain: Great Lake East 213mm, Mt Barrow 189mm, Fisher River 173mm, Lake Augusta 154mm, Sheffield 113mm, Gray 99mm Scottsdale 77mm, Launceston 37mm, Hobart 4mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

windyrob wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:12 pm
tonycynic wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:29 pm Yep, not the time. Climate change is real, humans caused it, and it is a problem. Don’t know why this would be an issue on a weather site.
Keep your attributions of weather events to climate change sites please. Weather is driven by forcings millions of times larger than CO2 forcing. The earth rotating in the solar field results in a 1300W/m2 change in 6 hours. CO2 changes has caused 2W/m2 in 100 years.
Your numbers are wrong,

When you are arguing with experts from NASA, CSIRO, ECMWF, UKMO, Australian Academy of Science, World Meteorological Organisation, Bureau of Meteorology, and every other Met service and credible science agency on the planet you are either brilliant or wrong.

Please stick to the weather and observations.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Tassiedave wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:17 am Tas rain: Great Lake East 213mm, Mt Barrow 189mm, Fisher River 173mm, Lake Augusta 154mm, Sheffield 113mm, Gray 99mm Scottsdale 77mm, Launceston 37mm, Hobart 4mm
Stunning numbers. The 213 is 7mm off the Tasmanian record. Some rain inbound so might challenge it. It’s unusual to get these rainfall totals outside of the northeast corner (Gray area).

Just shy of 25mm here.

Northern Tasmania has mostly fallen just short of 2016, but still bad. Victoria situation looks bad.

More heavy showers and storms this arvo, but hit and miss.

Another system brewing for middle of next week.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Latest on Loddon River is that it won't be as bad as 2011, but will go close.

This is going to take weeks to recover from for some areas. And I hope next week's system doesn't happen.
windyrob
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by windyrob »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:39 am
windyrob wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:12 pm
tonycynic wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:29 pm Yep, not the time. Climate change is real, humans caused it, and it is a problem. Don’t know why this would be an issue on a weather site.
Keep your attributions of weather events to climate change sites please. Weather is driven by forcings millions of times larger than CO2 forcing. The earth rotating in the solar field results in a 1300W/m2 change in 6 hours. CO2 changes has caused 2W/m2 in 100 years.
Your numbers are wrong,

When you are arguing with experts from NASA, CSIRO, ECMWF, UKMO, Australian Academy of Science, World Meteorological Organisation, Bureau of Meteorology, and every other Met service and credible science agency on the planet you are either brilliant or wrong.

Please stick to the weather and observations.
The numbers are evidently correct, the point you are missing is that they relate to weather, not global climate. As for being brilliant or wrong the answer is neither. The nature of a profoundly gifted mind is as indiscernible as the internal workings of black hole. Both are considered singularities.
So who is more likely to be correct? A profoundly gifted polymath who identified a discrepancy between equilibrium thermodynamics and climate change theory, and confirmed the error by testing it against observations (empirical falsification), or everyone else?

50mm here in frankston south. Over 100mm for the 10 days after a dryish september. Good for the thelymitra orchids I'm studying on the side (including 5 undescribed species)
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Another 28.5mm here, takes us to 48mm for the system. Amazing event.

Surprised we scored so well last night, really thought it was going to clear more rapidly. After our extremely wet August, this keeps things saturated underfoot. We don’t need anymore.

A bit of warmth and I’ll be consigned to mowing twice a week…
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Just saw footage from Seymour. Whole shopping precinct under water.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

54mm all up here.

Went to bed last night to a loud chorus of frogs. They're still going now, obviously loving the swampy conditions out there.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

40.4mm for the event.

Not significant but still closing several roads in the area due to flooding thay hasn't happened in over 10 years.

The ground is drenched. Water has nowhere to go unless we get a mini drought of a month
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

127mm for me for the two days. I'm over my long term av of approx 940mm p/a now with ten weeks of the year still to go.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

We got 16.5mm in total for this event, both in light steady overnight falls, no wind to speak of.

Dodged another bullet down here, but even 16mm has left my lawns sodden with puddles. Top soil is saturated. Thoughts are with those in the states North, many areas will remain under for extended periods given the full Murray River.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Massive disaster with the Maribyrnong River this morning in inner Melbourne too. A lot of properties flooded, somewhat unexpectedly it seems.

Disappointing that interstate media outlets are largely shunning the disaster. But when Sydney was flooding...
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

The last day or two of the latest ACCESS-G 10 day model run is a bit concerning.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

The numbers are evidently correct, the point you are missing is that they relate to weather, not global climate. As for being brilliant or wrong the answer is neither. The nature of a profoundly gifted mind is as indiscernible as the internal workings of black hole. Both are considered singularities
There are so many errors in the conclusion. You mix the diurnal cycle of solar radiation at the top of the atmosphere at the equator with a planetary energy imbalance over decades.

The difference between a La Niña and El Niño is only a couple of degrees in a small region of the Pacific. This profoundly changes our weather. To suggest a global change of 1.5C has no efffect on weather is optimistic.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

I've just set up a Climate Change thread in The Met Centre viewtopic.php?t=2638 - mods may choose to relocate or rename, but meanwhile, it's a place to go for discussion that's off topic in Weather.

Can I suggest all climate change-related discussion is dealt with there? Think it's best to keep important threads like this one focused on the topic.

Speaking of which, we dodged a bullet here with 57.5mm spread over two days, plus a few more mm today.

Looks and feels very wet, with roads closed and some damage to homes and infrastructure, but nothing compared to what people in major flood areas are dealing with.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

stevco123 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:34 am Massive disaster with the Maribyrnong River this morning in inner Melbourne too. A lot of properties flooded, somewhat unexpectedly it seems.
Just been catching up with the developments on 7 news. I'm just completely speechless at what's unfolding with the Maribyrnong. :o

On a separate note my mum & brother are largely unaffected up at Kilmore/Wandong which is a huge relief. Been pretty stressed about the situation up that way.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Just noticed the Admin Msg re the sad passing of some of the members, Vale Rivergirl (Robyn), Hillybilly (David), Blackee (Anthony) & me, 93ben (Ben), I will miss the chats and know youve sent this rain to stir things up a bit, thanks folks, now please work on some Lightning.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

mick wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:27 pm Just noticed the Admin Msg re the sad passing of some of the members, Vale Rivergirl (Robyn), Hillybilly (David), Blackee (Anthony) & me, 93ben (Ben), I will miss the chats and know youve sent this rain to stir things up a bit, thanks folks, now please work on some Lightning.
only the Founder Robyn.
Other Boys have popped their hands up to help keep the site alive, the site was off line for a little while, so between a few of us pulling rabbits out of our hats we have managed to keep it alive and these guys will continue to work behind the scenes..

welcome back..