Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Summer polar blast, then settled - 11-20/12/22

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Vic - arrival of a low pressure system, heralding a period of sultry weather 11-20/12/22

Post by 93ben »

Gordon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 pm
93ben wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:47 pm @Gordon What do you think the title should be now and I'll change it for you.
Sorry for the delay Ben - away in the Snowy Mtns with limited internet,

Maybe, 'Summer polar blast, then settled - 11-20/12/22
That's ok Gordon. I have updated it now to reflect the current weather. Hopefully it warms up soon and stays like that as I'm going away after Christmas. And wow that's a lot of snow!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Summer polar blast, then settled - 11-20/12/22

Post by Macedonian »

My max today was 7.5°. The second single digit max for December.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

In a cold damp stream down here in Tasmania, with almost non stop wet, but gauge only climbing slowly. We’ve had 40mm for the last week, and 5mm for the last 24 hours. Southern Tas is at its bleakest in a south to southeast flow. No complaints really as it’s a work day anyway. Heavier falls in the foot hills around Snug Tier where some spots have had 100mm for the week. There are pockets up there which can get 1500mm in a year, so very wet area.

We are on 12 consecutive sub 20C days here. Current EC has no day reaching above 20C until at least Christmas Day. Could easily sneak over one day later next week, but will see. In theory could go three weeks without getting there. I’d guess that’s pretty unusual. We are usually a degree or so cooler than Hobart.

Bit more snow on Kunanyi. Just a light cover but good to see.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

5 days under 20c so far this month in Bendigo. Which equals the previous best effort of 5 in December 1993 for the current site....

Interestingly we had quite a few similarly cold Decembers in the 1960s, 1964 a standout.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

11.5C today at Hobart was the coldest December day since 1964 :o Chilly, damp and cloudy. Looked like mid winter :D

Only 1mm in the gauge here but rain for about 12 hours :P Bit heavier in the hills.

Friday and Saturday look like repeats.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Got to a lofty 15C here yesterday. 2mm more in the gauge. Think it is time to plant the winter veggies :D

Looks to have now cleared.

Progs showing building rain across northern Australia, with suggestions of the monsoon sometime around the Christmas to New Year type period. Would expect heat to build in the south as that happens.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Wind finally backed from 5 days ex S/SW to an arvo easterly, still cloudy and very cool though, 4th day in a row in the low 18C's - I tallied 22mm here for this thread. Certainly a cold and windy week.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Looks like the event is wrapping up. Sun has come out down here, with just a trace in the gauge. MTD is 50mm. We fluffed a couple of chances with near misses on storms, with pockets close to 100mm within 10km from here. Still tanks are all full and horse paddock has standing water still so good place for the peak of summer.

Weathers about to flip. Could well turn into a major heatwave event. Still seven days out, so probably a bit too far to lock it in.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Off topic but in a way current weather related. For anybody who has solar power. Are you having very high solar production readings in the last couple of days? I have had solar for 11 years now and am getting very high recordings, today I think would be the equal second-highest daily solar power production in that time, yesterday just slightly less. The strong easterlies clearing out pollution?
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Onetahuti wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:28 pm Off topic but in a way current weather related. For anybody who has solar power. Are you having very high solar production readings in the last couple of days? I have had solar for 11 years now and am getting very high recordings, today I think would be the equal second-highest daily solar power production in that time, yesterday just slightly less. The strong easterlies clearing out pollution?
Maybe because we are so close to the solstice and it has been very sunny. They combination could be why? Just a guess
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:25 am
Onetahuti wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:28 pm Off topic but in a way current weather related. For anybody who has solar power. Are you having very high solar production readings in the last couple of days? I have had solar for 11 years now and am getting very high recordings, today I think would be the equal second-highest daily solar power production in that time, yesterday just slightly less. The strong easterlies clearing out pollution?
Maybe because we are so close to the solstice and it has been very sunny. They combination could be why? Just a guess
Also very low precipitable water. Guess a lot of southerlies in the last week :D