Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Thunderstorms - 3rd & 4th Feb 2011

Archived storm chasing events are located here.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Thunderstorms - 3rd & 4th Feb 2011

Post by Meso »

Here's all my photos from the chase yesterday, 3rd Feb. Mostly taken between Bridgewater and Raywood. Was very nice structure wise for about 30 mins, before I was left playing catch up as it moved towards Bendigo. Spat out some fantastic CG's! One when I was driving...the thunder was maybe half a second to a second after the flash and was nothing but a crack, no rumble at all. So, a very close strike.

Got stuck in the core on the way home with visibility down to a few meters and flash flooding all over the place as it dumped its guts over Bendigo.

Last edited by Meso on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Thunderstorms - 3rd Feb 2011 -

Post by daviescr »

Nice as ever Meso, love the greenage in the 4th to last one. Hoping for some of that today mate
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Fantastic stuff, Meso. Woah at the greenage!
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Lovely, again Greg.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Thanks! Still kicking myself I missed my chance with that huge line of storms coming across the following day. Would have been epic, no doubt. :x

Oh well, hopefully another chance or two for redemption before the season is over. The problem with this storm chasing thing is the more you do it, the more addictive it becomes.

I fear it'll be April before we know it and back to cold crappy weather. Wish I could just live here during the warm months, then take off to Oklahoma during our winter. Oh, what a life that would be, haha.
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Another set of brilliant photos from AWF members. Great shots Meso... I'm going to have to thumb a lift with one you guys or gals on here one day.. I would like to get a camera first though so i can join in with the photo shootings to make it work while. YES, don't look :o , i don't have a camera at all :D
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

John and I chased north central Vic on Friday and scored this monumental shelf from Mittiamo to Echuca! This is a wide angle stitch of the early stages of the beast. ;)

Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Damn! So that's what I missed Friday? Makes it all the more painful! What time was that?

And nice work!! Was wondering when you'd pop up. :P
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Hey Greg, thanks and that pic is from 6pm on Friday.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Oh ok, not the same one I was trying to get to then. Looks pretty damn nice, nonetheless.

Short video from the storm on the 3rd - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

There are some incredible pictures in this thread! Congrats to everyone for snapping them. :D

Meso, those shots have wonderful colour. The green in that storm is so nice! I especially love the video as well. It's nice to see the photos come alive if you know what I mean. :D

And Hamlan, that shelf is amazing! I love how the shelf cloud is coloured and underneath, it looks very nasty!

Awesome shots guys!

Cheers, Cam
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Thanks Cam.

Here are a few more pics of the epic shelf we got west of Echuca on Friday 4th Feb:

flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

No problems Brad. Those extra pics are really nice! Don't they call that sort of formation in the U.S a "Mothership"? I'm not so sure but incredible. Did you get any video of it?

I managed to find a better pic of the mini-shelf (I guess?) over the city on the fourth. I hope we get more like this soon.

Hope you enjoy,
Cheers, Campbell :D
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Ok I finally got together the pics from Feb 3rd.

After jumping into the car after work I headed NE to Goornong where I was meeted with this. All the photo's in this were taken within 25min of each other. The rate at which these storms grew was amazing.

This grabbed my attention first off as it was dropping a few cg's without much precip

Then my eyes turned to the East where the main band was coming through. It had a small detatched guster on the face of it and looked to be strengthening to the south a little more than I thought.

Turning around the first celol i saw (second Photo) had turned into this in a matter of minutes.
It was during the taking of this shot i Heard my Iphone get run over by an 18wheeler after my phone fell out of my pocket without me noticing. :(

Turning back to the main band, the southern side had really taken off and produced a nice wall cloud.

This is what the radar looked like at this point. I was Standing on the side of the Northern Highway above Bendigo right in the middle of that hole in the radar with cells all around me.

Another Cell formed up in front of my eyes within minutes and released a deluge in the paddocks 1km to my south

I then had to race back home and fought my way through some intense rain with trees falling over the road as well. Quite hairy drive which usually takes 20min taking me 50min.
So an expensive 30min chase, but aight. :)
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Good work on the 3rd both Rikki and Meso, im greedy but I wish I hadve chased that day too ;)

Here are my remaining panos from the 4th Feb:

H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: Thunderstorms - 3rd & 4th Feb 2011

Post by Hamlan »

Ok, this is it I promise ;) just having a lot of fun processing these.... more from the 4th Feb:

brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Delicious! :D
Well done lads
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

That's one hell of a shelf there, Brad.

Some of your best work.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Thanks fellas! 8-)
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

AMAZING pics Hamlan. I haven't seen a guster like that since the March storms in 2010. BTW Could I pinch one of those pics and use it for my desktop background? :)