Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Hot again with some showers and storms: 14-20 Dec

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Hot again with some showers and storms: 14-20 Dec

Post by occluded »

About a minute of raindrops from that "cell" that went through about 10 mins ago. Evaporated already.

Dropped back a bit to 38 degrees.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Had a brief shower here a few minutes ago, big splashy drops and one rumble of thunder to my south, temp dropped back a bit to 37.4c now. Highest so far today 39.7c. So still no 40 here this year.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Bizarre here. The odd drop of rain coming down and surviving to the ground under a mostly clear sky with just a smallish Cu congestus to the near north. All the while it's 37C (max so far 38.9C).

Some of the clouds developing atm look a bit lower level and chunkier, almost as if the atmosphere is moistening up in the mid layers. Not sure if this was predicted.

EDIT: sustained light shower coming out of a 90% clear sky. :o
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Looks like Geelong and Avalon have broken the December record. Suspect many more lurking or near misses. Meanwhile, we've dipped to 31C here with a heavy shower. Big drops coming hard. 0.4mm of rain :?

Storms out west look to be organising into a band. ACCESS-C had them moving northeast into the flow and coming through Melbourne later this arvo. Will it happen??

EDIT> Looks like a fire going up quickly north of Geelong :?
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

It's about as bad as it can get here, currently sitting on 42-43 degrees. Just came back inside from hosing the dog down. It's terrible out there.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Squall lines developed on those storms on the bay. Will hit the burbs very soon.

Temperature here down to 33C. Max of just 35.2C... think we've got lucky to sit under cloud all arvo.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Bom going for slight chance of shower. I beg to differ.

Currently 1mm so far and more developing, readying itself to hit here.

Happy with that.

Looks like it's a different story in the rest of Melbourne with the predominant temperature being around 41 to 42

Temp max of 40.4 in a short spike. Now 33
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

This band has no guts. Nothing substantial whatsoever really. The rain drops are big, but it's delivering no more than your standard melbourne drizzle.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Gusty SW change just came through here. Now that's a bit unexpected :D Peaked at a reasonable 35C and only briefly. Hard to image our western "cousins" suffered mid 40s :o

Now hoping for some rain. Had 1.4mm so far - 1mm yesterday and 0.4mm today (and about 5 times that much evaporation).
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Getting absolutely zilch from this band coming across Melbourne. Not sure how much is actually reaching the ground though. How's everyone else managing? Dead calm here now also.

Also is the BoM radar working for anyone else? Or stuck?
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

BOM radar has been having issues all afternoon, keeps going back to 11-ish this morning. Just too far north here for the main stream, but catching huge raindrops from the fringes. Looks a little better for this evening with more coming in from further north.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I don't think the minimum will be 29 tonight. This "unexpected" rain (wasn't in the forecast) has roughed things up.

I think 23-24 is more likely. 30 in the cbd right now.

I never thought it would be THAT hot overnight. The ingredients isn't there in my opinion.

It's a global warming believer's nightmare hahaha.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Getting absolutely zilch from this band coming across Melbourne
Similar here, but about 3km south of us got 4mm from one short lived red cell. It looked quite speccy as it drifted past almost in reach and gave one rumble.

Thinking these showers are going to run over us much of the night. The SW'ly has pushed through, but it will wash out.

EC upped for tomorrow - has about 10mm here and 15mm just to our east and GFS is very similar. Hoping the cloud kills head early spike in the heat.... over the hot weather already.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

We've dropped down to 26C now from around 36C most of the afternoon. Want to open up the doors and windows and let the cooler air through, but would you believe it, the wind has died right out here! Still 30C in the house! :roll: :-x
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Jake Smethurst » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:49 pm wrote:
Jake Smethurst wrote:Getting absolutely zilch from this band coming across Melbourne. Not sure how much is actually reaching the ground though. How's everyone else managing? Dead calm here now also.

Also is the BoM radar working for anyone else? Or stuck?
I think I did not have a single drop of rain here.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Any drops of rain we had evaporated a few minutes later....

Oh bring on the cool change... please.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Here's some photos of the band taken at ~80m with my Phantom. You can see from this perspective that most the rain is evaporating. Also the fire near Geelong is clearly evident. The lights pretty poor tonight and the sky murky, so not the greatest shots.

Looking north towards Mt Dandenong.

Looking west towards Geelong - you can see the smoke plume over the bay.

Looking towards Mt Macedon.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

4.5mm here from two separate cells. A massive relief, wasn't expecting much to fall after a 39C day here (would be a December record by about 0.5C-1C I'd say)

Temp dropped down to 23C now. It will spike up again when the northerlies pick up again overnight but a bit of a relief for the garden and general environment.

Desperately hoping that the storms tomorrow get organised on the wind change, or at least cover a decent area. Models are keen on hit and miss flukey stuff with plenty of gaps in between heavier falls. EC has 1mm for Kyneton about 5mm for Woodend and 7mm here, but up above 10mm for Riddells Creek and Gisborne. GFS is all over the place, gaps everywhere in the storms.

Fingers crossed.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

And the temp in Melbourne is back on the rise, expect a lot of cranky people tomorrow (* and that includes me )
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

I hope people don't underestimate the fire threat tomorrow. The spits of rain, cloud, slightly less hot temps and calm winds may lull many people in bushfire areas into a false sense of security. Things will get wild overnight with a severe weather warning in place and central vic amongst some other regions has extreme fire danger for tomorrow. We are going to wake up to another disgusting day tomorrow with even wilder conditions than today I think in terms of severe weather and potentially higher fire danger/more unpredictable fire conditions, especially with the sw change in the afternoon