Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Re: Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day

Post by Skywalker »

Good morning all,
well what a day yesterday was. We spent the day at Craigieburn with my brother's family & missed the worst of the weather, but had a amazing view the action sweeping through the western & northern suburbs (including my neck of woods grrrr :x ). None of my family share my interest in weather but even they were commenting on what they were observing skyward with what was happening with the cloud movement & structures. Fantastic stuff!
Still got our share of things in Craigieburn later during the evening, massive bolts, heavy rain, small hail & the loudest crack of thunder I've heard in a really long time. Everyone jumped about 100 metres in the air except my 1 year old.

It seems the worst of the action was just down the road from my neck of the woods. The in-laws from Deer Park rang us & they got obsolutely smashed! Garden is totally destroyed according to my father in-law. Also heard that Keilor downs & Sydenham copped it as well.

It looks like we somehow escaped the large hail after inspection of the house when we arrived home late last night. 45mm in the gauge & swimming pools in the usual places around the backyard but no hail damage, which tells me we didn't get hit. :D

Update: Just spoke with my neighbour, confirmed we actually received hail as both of his cars have been damaged.
Last edited by Skywalker on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
B
Bellarine
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bellarine »

Utterly lazy journalism on the Herald Sun's behalf - you'd think they would validate "user supplied pics" before publishing (look at the two dates on the pages) - and no they would not publish my comment :D
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w100 ... s/lazy.jpg
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Sounds like quite an amazing event, shame I missed most of it unfolding as I was at family etc ... all yesterday. The radar images of the hook are some of the most cleanest I have seen for a hook in Australia by far, very nasty stuff in deed. I did mention in the thunderstorm forecast yesterday organisation in thunderstorms was a high probability, so I'm happy with my forecast for yesterday. Also a good pick from John. ;)

We managed no rainfall at all, in fact had a few grass fires down the road yesterday afternoon. 4 CFA tracks got it under control in about just over an hour though. But it's quite dry down here compared to most of the state at the moment.

Fantastic effort to everyone that got a storm, I am so jealous but hopefully not too much damage!!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Bellarine wrote:Utterly lazy journalism on the Herald Sun's behalf - you'd think they would validate "user supplied pics" before publishing (look at the two dates on the pages) - and no they would not publish my comment :D
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w100 ... s/lazy.jpg
Yeah I wrote a comment and emailed them too.

I guess the hail was smaller for this event than 6th March this year?
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Save your time emailing them guys. They've proven time and again they don't care about facts or research.

I think the hail yesterday rivaled March, Brayden. Some pics of some pretty big stones floating around.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Melbourne even caught the eye of none other than Reed Timmer!!

Check out his Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/ReedTimmerTVN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Yeah I seen that Reed timmer posted a radar image of the hook. The Americans were like the hook is the wrong way around Lol. Anyway what an amazing event, one of the best I have ever seen in my 18yrs alive. If only we could get a storm like that up here. Maybe, because it's still summer !
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Yeah they're fascinated by it being the other way around haha.

Another guy posted - "we don't have tornados here reed they are called servere thunderstorms"

WTF? :?
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Missed out on pretty much everything here, but really not dissapointed at all. Really hope most dodged the big damage that was around, only got back home so don't know who copped what yet, and not great to see unfortunately. We all love the weather and storms but she can be a real ***** at times, don't mind my french. :( :( Melbourne becoming the home of monster hail it seems unfortunately and the photos and news reports I'm seeing are seriously crazy crap.

Rhino. :) :)
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Meso » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:26 pm wrote:
Meso wrote:Yeah they're fascinated by it being the other way around haha.

Another guy posted - "we don't have tornados here reed they are called servere thunderstorms"

WTF? :?
Yeah i was a bit WTF!
fortius quo fidelius
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Ok an image of the Tornado has surfaced !!

Here it is on the Weatherzone forum torwards the bottom

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthre ... 1045795/15
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Not a tornado, thats just a downburst or rain.

Tornado looked like this.

Went up to the farm this morning, strawberries were completely destroyed, not that we had to go up there and check it. Was obvious when it was occuring this was a serious storm of epic proportions.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Getting drizzly showers moving through here, not all of them showing up on radar.
B
Bellarine
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bellarine »

Meso » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:13 am wrote:
Meso wrote:Save your time emailing them guys. They've proven time and again they don't care about facts or research.
True, but I sent it to MediaWatch anyway ;)
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Anthony Violi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:32 pm wrote:
Anthony Violi wrote:Not a tornado, thats just a downburst or rain.

Tornado looked like this.

Went up to the farm this morning, strawberries were completely destroyed, not that we had to go up there and check it. Was obvious when it was occuring this was a serious storm of epic proportions.
As impressive as that photo is AV, I think what you've actually photographed there is an inflow tail.

And the one on WZ is most definitely a rain curtain.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Agree with meso on the above post.
Still an amazing shot! But certainly inflow....
As for the rain curtain one, I was unaware there was the possibility of tornodoes after dark from yesterday's storms. I'd like to see the exif data on that one to see what time it was taken.

On a different note, I think images should have geo tagging info recorded in. Would not be that hard to do IMO.
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

That dark shot with the CG's is definitely long exposure after daylight hours, the Herald sun and media in general are a joke when it comes to events like this. They will use anything to get peoples attention
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

Hey guys. Fu got these shots via twitter from WIN news, they were sent in by some member of the public I'm assuming.

http://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afab-c23d-725d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afab-c260-8892.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.tapatalk.com/3aa3afab-c271-8479.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a shelf to me.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Yeah, nothing out of the ordinary there.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Hard to tell from the photo but in real life it had a big rotating meso, was an amazing sight.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com