Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

September warm wave and troughs 26-28 September

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: September warm wave and troughs 26-28 September

Post by nafets »

Wow, its 4c cooler here than the city only 5km away :/ Here: 20.3 City: 24.2!
Go the bombersss!
d
dry
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dry »

Strong ring around the moon tonight - I'm sure that means a storm is coming.....
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Noticed that as well dry! btw not really storm pics but just some shots driving to shepparton -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/58174898@N ... 634482276/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Noticed these wavey clouds that i haven't seen much (not the matamus) . Also a little bit of an anvil cloud at the end of the set i think hahaha :P
Go the bombersss!
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Midura is currently 29 deg at 2.30am !! That's insane for this time of night. Plus the sat pic is really exploding now and radar with widespread rain developing. 12 deg here now.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Forecasts updated this morning: Thanks John

VICTORIAN STATE FORECAST
Issued at 6:00am Friday 28th September 2012.

Synoptic Situation:

A high pressure system will remain in the Tasman Sea Tonight and Tomorrow. A pre trough of low pressure will move through coastal areas later Today and early evening, A stronger trough will move across the state Tomorrow. A cold front will then cross the state overnight Friday and early Saturday, leaving an unstable west to southwesterly airflow. This airflow will ease on Sunday with the approach of the next high pressure system which will position itself just west of Victoria Monday.

Friday:

Areas of patchy rain and isolated thunderstorms becoming more widespread about Eastern areas, contracting eastwards during the day with scattered showers to follow. Locally heavy falls developing about the northeast ranges. Snowfalls down to 1400 metres and further down to 1000 Metres in the West at Night. Fresh to strong NNW winds shifting Westerly from the West during the day. Mild to warm becoming colder from the West.

Saturday:

Areas of rain over the far east clearing early, Scattered showers elsewhere, with local hail and thunder. Snowfalls lowering to 700m during the day. Strong & gusty Westerly winds generally extending throughout. Cold day.

Sunday:

Scattered showers across southern and mountain areas, with just isolated showers over the north. showers becoming isolated from the west later. Cool with moderate to fresh WSW winds locally strong about the coast easing later. Cool.

Monday: Isolated showers over Southern & mountain areas contracting to the coast and clearing fine and party cloudy elsewhere. Light to moderate SW breeze and seabreezes along parts of the coast during the Afternoon. Cool to mild Day.

-------------------------------------------------------
Melbourne Forecast Issued Friday 28th September 2012

Friday: Shower or two increasing to some rain, chance of a thunderstorm. Rain easing later in the afternoon or early evening with just a few showers to follow. Northerly winds early becoming fresh to strong & shifting WNW during the Day. Min 17 Max 21c

Saturday: Shower or two becoming more scattered by Lunchtime. Local hail and thunder about. Cold Day. Fresh to strong Westerly winds. Min 8 Max 14c.

Sunday: Few showers mostly clearing at Night. Fresh Westerly winds turning SW for a period during the Afternoon easing later. Min 8 Max 16c.

Monday: Becoming Fine. Partly Cloudy Day. Light to moderate Westerly wind tending Southerly throughout during the Afternoon. Min 8 Max 18c.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

6:05 - Oh thunder!! Checks radar...
6:07 - In car viewing multiple Cg's and IC... this is nice
6:10 - Reach destination to try and take pics and storm has already blwon over and is on the side of Bendigo and I watch it fade away in the distance

Damn they are still moving fast... :( But some of those CG's were damn nice!
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Geez that rain is moving fast. I was going to say it yesterday but held off, so here it goes: maximum rain today 1mm for Melbourne if we're lucky. The dynamics are just not right. Unless we get a storm. I'd love to be proven wrong.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah lots of lightning over the northern and northeastern suburbs last hour, surprised no one really mentioned it. Takes a lot these days to get people out of bed and excited about weather, been far too spoiled. Time for another drought I think to give people perspective.

Anyway, scattered virga showers and thunderstorms this morning will tend to proper rainfall near lunchtime and futher wetter storms possible along a colder change later this afternoon.

Tomorrow I still think the cold outbreak will come off, however I think the precip will be very sparse and so I am expecting no snowfalls tomorrow still about the hills, sorry to those getting excited, I think head to Mt Donna Buang if you are keen or the Alps.

Otherwise, should warm again next week and perhaps nudging 30C in Melbourne by later next week ahead of another weak change.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Had a couple of claps of thunder over the last hour but not expecting much here over the coming days, like the last few systems if we can squeeze out 5mm here we're doing well, has'nt been great here lately. East vic looks good for storms and rainfall.

Rhino. :) :)
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Only Virga here so far, hoping to get something out of this as we desperately need it now. Wind is up and it is a pretty ordinary day outside but still no rain.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Karl Lijnders » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am wrote:
Karl Lijnders wrote:Yeah lots of lightning over the northern and northeastern suburbs last hour, surprised no one really mentioned it. Takes a lot these days to get people out of bed and excited about weather, been far too spoiled. Time for another drought I think to give people perspective.
Good morning Karl, everyone. :)

Problem is this didn't happen in the eastern or south eastern suburbs where most of you seem to live. Thats why no one mentioned it. :P

Just had a thundery shower push through here, 5 minutes after I arrived at work. Nice little way to start the day. Just as well I didn't ride, would of been interesting on the bike with that lightning. :lighting:
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
H
Hawker
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Hawker »

Woken at six by some thunder, 5-10mm here at the most expected today.
Might get lucky with a storm later, cloud moving too fast and looking too dry.
More thunder as i type,better go and have a look, and to the point of this post GO HAWKS :D
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Some thunder, CG's and menacing skies out our way between 6:30 and 7:00 this morning, but blew over so quickly and only a couple of spots of very dusty rain. Like others mentioned, noticed lots of virga particularly over the dandenongs while driving to work between 7:00 and 7:30. Still very mild and looking at the radar they're starting to train in from the west although I think we'll see the storms die off as the morning progresses. Tomorrow however is looking VERY interesting!! ;)
Storm Nerd!!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Next one on it's way with a little bit of orange/yellow on the radar thrown in. They are sure moving fast so expect bugger all in terms of rainfall.
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Karl Lijnders » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am wrote:
Karl Lijnders wrote:Yeah lots of lightning over the northern and northeastern suburbs last hour, surprised no one really mentioned it. Takes a lot these days to get people out of bed and excited about weather, been far too spoiled. Time for another drought I think to give people perspective .
Pretty much drought up here now. Especially just to our north and west. Crops being written off everyday now.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

19 spots of rain and some impressive long rumbles of thunder and dark skies a bit earlier. All quiet at the moment.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Certainly about to get something here, it's as black as a dogs guts!
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Heard a bit of thunder in the distance here in Templestowe. Then it rained here with a couple of big drops for a couple of seconds that it didn't really get the ground wet here. Though the clouds look a bit stormy here.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Thunder! :lighting:
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Just woke up to hearing distant thunder! :')
Go the bombersss!