Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Studying Meteorology

Archived Nerdy Forum (Weather Q&A).
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Studying Meteorology

Post by Meso »

So....I have been thinking that maybe I should have studied Meteorology from the very beginning. But, that's the past and I'm only now realising how much I enjoy learning about the wonderful topic of weather. Anyway...I've begun looking in to what's required to study seriously in this field and it appears it's not as easy to walk in to as some other fields of study. For one, it appears you have to have a grounding in physics and mathematics before even attempting to study meteorology? That's fine. I have no hesitation at all about getting in to these areas of study...in fact...the idea actually excites me. But, my problem is, where do I even start? Do I take a physics course first? Maths? Do I just apply for a Met course and hope they let me in? How does a mature age (I'm only 27!) student begin their journey down this road? I already have a B. of Tech if that is relevant.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Re: Studying Meteorology

Post by crikey »

MESO
Investigate mature age entry. Email them , go and see them apply. Get advice from them.
Your studies will help as too will the time and your membership here.. shows your interest.
Universities often have bridging courses where they will build your basics. This is your first port of call at any university. Ask about bridging to get you into science at latrobe uni if you are in bendigo.
There is also some TAFE transition courses but not sure about the science ones. Go to the TAFE and ask.
Uni's also accept bridging via TAFE
There are also on-line uni courses . You can do degrees at home on your computer these days.
Yes. You can do it . and why not.
You sound keen so go for it :thumbsup: