Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Low Pressure: 23rd - 27th June 2021

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Low Pressure: 23rd - 27th June 2021

Post by Sean »

Looking mild here. Meanwhile historic heatwave headed for northwest USA into Canada. 46 in Portland Oregon, while 49 predicted in Kamloops Canada. If that eventuates, pure insanity.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Foggy and drizzly start to Sunday which then turned into a nice day. 1.2mm before 9am and 0.8mm after. Quite mild with a max of 10C.

Couple of very mild mid winter days coming up, before possible significant could outbreak.

What’s going on in the Northern Hemisphere is crazy, but as expected :( So many countries breaking heat records. When places into the Arctic are seeing 100F and could see 50C near 50N you know we have a problem. The massive conifer forests are in trouble with mass die offs in California which will spread north.
D
Derwent
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Derwent »

hillybilly wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:02 am Foggy and drizzly start to Sunday which then turned into a nice day. 1.2mm before 9am and 0.8mm after. Quite mild with a max of 10C.

Couple of very mild mid winter days coming up, before possible significant could outbreak.

What’s going on in the Northern Hemisphere is crazy, but as expected :( So many countries breaking heat records. When places into the Arctic are seeing 100F and could see 50C near 50N you know we have a problem. The massive conifer forests are in trouble with mass die offs in California which will spread north.
Living in some interesting times , wife and her family grew up in Penticton Canada . Mirror image to our Huon Valley Tasmania, climate records smashed down here last few years so no surprise to see it up there as well.
Anyway Hobart frosty mornings not a breeze and Highs are the influence this Winter so far.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Another 1.5mm in the gauge this morning makes 17.5mm for the dates, and 101.5mm mtd (and most likely our June total).

Wonderful rain this year, steady but not flooding, and we're running nearly 100mm ahead. Streams flowing strongly and lakes rising rapidly, or full. If it wasn't for the hurricane earlier in the month (which I'll be cleaning up from for several more weeks :() I would call 2021 a perfect weather year so far.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

64mm MTD. Pretty decent.

Rain later this week looks to be on the light side, but certainly looks quite cold after Thursday. Today has been overcast and chilly - just 10c so far.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Beaut mid winter day in the Nongs. Not very wintery but hard to complain when you are stuck in Victoria as the borders shut around us again :o Guess at least time we aren’t the ones being locked out :?

Here’s a shot from early looking towards Mt Dandenong. Was a nice cap of fog streaming over the back of Olinda from a foggy Yarra valley.

Tomorrow looks similar.

Nice cold outbreak for the weekend. Potential for solid snowfalls, maybe.

M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Gordon wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm Another 1.5mm in the gauge this morning makes 17.5mm for the dates, and 101.5mm mtd (and most likely our June total).

Wonderful rain this year, steady but not flooding, and we're running nearly 100mm ahead. Streams flowing strongly and lakes rising rapidly, or full. If it wasn't for the hurricane earlier in the month (which I'll be cleaning up from for several more weeks :() I would call 2021 a perfect weather year so far.
Quite a range of rainfall totals across the Central Ranges this month.
140mm at Kilmore Gap, 170mm where I work at Macedon, 219mm at my place on Mt Macedon, 250mm at Trentham and your 101mm at Gordon.
This is only the third time I have ever gone over 200mm in a month in the eighteen years that I have been here.
Only one day this month has had a max higher than 10C. Lots of days with a max around 6.5C - 7C which is around average for June.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Macedonian wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 pm
Gordon wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm Another 1.5mm in the gauge this morning makes 17.5mm for the dates, and 101.5mm mtd (and most likely our June total).

140mm at Kilmore Gap, 170mm where I work at Macedon, 219mm at my place on Mt Macedon, 250mm at Trentham and your 101mm at Gordon.
This is only the third time I have ever gone over 200mm in a month in the eighteen years that I have been here.
Only one day this month has had a max higher than 10C. Lots of days with a max around 6.5C - 7C which is around average for June.
Good to hear from you again Macedonian, hope your garden wasn't too badly damaged? And those are some amazing totals! Not surprised that on and north of the Divide did so well, but I am surprised it was that much!

We were badly rain-shadowed for all the major June events and still got well above average. The statewide June rainfall deciles will tell an interesting story.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Was digging in the yard today... The moisture extends over a foot down. I wish this lasted into summer. Everything looks better when green :D
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Gordon wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Good to hear from you again Macedonian, hope your garden wasn't too badly damaged? And those are some amazing totals! Not surprised that on and north of the Divide did so well, but I am surprised it was that much!

We were badly rain-shadowed for all the major June events and still got well above average. The statewide June rainfall deciles will tell an interesting story.
Hi Gordon...we copped it badly above 700m on the mountain. I have nine big trees down or leaning precariously. Lots to clean up and firewood for years!
Def the worst storm I have seen here.
How did you fare?
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Stuck on 197mm for the month. Gonna run out of days to crack the double ton. June is a relatively dry month here, so quite unusual to get such a hefty total.

Oddly, despite the rain it’s been mild as you can see in the quite dismal snow cover in Vic atm. About 1C above the 1961-90 average in central Vic. TBH currently more like a typical May here than June (May tends to be a lot wetter).

Hopefully a decent wintery blast for the coming weekend (new thread time).
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Macedonian wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 pm
Hi Gordon...we copped it badly above 700m on the mountain. I have nine big trees down or leaning precariously. Lots to clean up and firewood for years!
Def the worst storm I have seen here.
How did you fare?
Worst storm for us too, and even the old timers say the same. We lost several trees but no building damage, so we were lucky.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

The storm earlier this month would rank about a 2 out of 10 for us with respect to severity. Not much damage and very little rain out of it. Our temps this month are just above average. Warmer oceans this winter around Australia are having an influence I suspect.

The cold front and low later this week looks well positioned to deliver another round of half-an-inch of rain. Decently cold uppers too.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

Hi just on 170mm for June here at my place. Nice and soggy. EC upgraded totals for this weekend at 12z but models really jumpy atm so wait and see.