Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropical Cyclone Megan

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
WeatherNerdEd
Cumulus
Reactions:

Tropical Cyclone Megan

Post by WeatherNerdEd »

TL 09U
Just formed, thought while I was on here I'd make a post.
Pretty much, all the information we have is BoM's forecast:
BoM Tropical cyclone forecast 08:36pm UTC 11/03/2023 wrote: Low risk of a tropical cyclone for the Timor Sea or Gulf of Carpentaria.
  • The monsoon is strengthening over waters near the north Australian coast.
  • A tropical low may form within the monsoon well to the northwest of the Kimberley Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • If it does form, then 09U is likely to move southeast and cross either the north Kimberley or western Top End coast as a tropical low on Wednesday or Thursday.
  • There is a Low likelihood that it does develop into a tropical cyclone prior to crossing the coast.
  • During the coming weekend the low may move over Gulf of Carpentaria waters, where there is again a Low risk of developing into a tropical cyclone.
More info will come as I know it!
Last edited by WeatherNerdEd on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks!
JustThatNerdyNerd
aka Edward
WeatherNerdEd
Cumulus
Reactions:

Tropical Cyclone Megan

Post by WeatherNerdEd »

This looks like it'll be a good cyclone! This system should get the name Megan, if it beats 08U to cyclone status. Otherwise it will be Neville.
Last edited by WeatherNerdEd on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!
JustThatNerdyNerd
aka Edward
WeatherNerdEd
Cumulus
Reactions:

Tropical Cyclone Megan

Post by WeatherNerdEd »

This system has been upgraded to a Category 1 cyclone (45kn sustained), and was named TC Megan.
Thanks!
JustThatNerdyNerd
aka Edward
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Tropical Cyclone Megan

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Tides have been all over the shop.
Have a family member close to the sea NT,
I have a chuckle, “We’ll it is the wet season”
Complaints about the wind and the rain,
Roads turned to dams and when exiting via the beach and the tide is higher than anticipated..