Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

What is thickness?? What does it mean weatherwise??

Archived Nerdy Forum (Weather Q&A).
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

What is thickness?? What does it mean weatherwise??

Post by Karl Lijnders »

A question that Chris posted in another forum..... Thought it could be helpful for others to read it in this forum.
hillybilly wrote:We need thickness values up here of about 532 to have a chance for snow.

Hi Hillybilly, Sorry for noob question here - can you tell me what 'thickness' is?

and wider question - is there somewhere I can look up all these acronyms you guys use??? :?

Thanks
Chris
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: What is thickness?? What does it mean weatherwise??

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Here is the answer from DJ which was in the other forum ...
Sorry for noob question here - can you tell me what 'thickness' is?
Chris the thickness value is the depth of atmosphere between two pressure levels. The most common one is the distance between the 1000hPa and 500hPa levels. The 1000hPa level is near the ground and the 500hPa level is the middle (by mass) of the atmosphere. This is usually marked by dotted lines on model forecast charts.

Turns out the thickness values is strongly related to the temperature of the atmosphere through a relationship called the hypsometric equation (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypsometric_equation). Each 20m change in thickness is close to 1C change the average temperature of the 1000 to 500 hPa layer.

The thickness is usually reported in metres (a typical 500-1000hPa value will range from 5300 in winter and 4800 in summer) or 10s of metres (dm) with values typically ranging from 530 to 480.

For the Dandenongs we tend to find a 532dm thickness is cold enough for snow to around 600m. A 526dm thickness is about 3C cooler and will see snow to 100-200m. Of course, every situation is different and sometimes the distribution of temperature through the 1000 to 500hPa level can be very different from the norm. I've seen snow in the Dandenongs with thickness values as high as 540 and seen it rain with thickness values of 528.

At the other extreme a thickness value of 576dm in summer will see near 40C in southern Australia.

Hope this helps.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.