Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Post by Duckey »

Very treacherous conditions driving in this morning, visibility very low with very heavy rain and a lot of water on the road - the right hand lane of Burwood Hwy was almost undriveable in parts due to the amount of water sitting on the road. I am surprised there is no Road Weather Alert active. Take care out there everyone! :)
Storm Nerd!!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Fantastic rain here since about 3.30am, the BOM says we are up to 32mm, i havent been out to compare my gauge yet. It is SOOO good to get some decent rain. I know it hasnt been as bad here as some parts of the state but it has been inbcredibly dry, my first summer living on Mt Macedon and probably one of the driest summers i have ever lived through.... YUk. Anyhow it is hammering down still and it is fantastico :D
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

28mm here for the system so very happy, not expecting much more here over the coming 48 hrs maybe 5mm, melbourne and central areas in a good area this morning with the rain training through there. Good to see. :)

Rhino. :) :)
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

Hardly anything overnight but making up for it from early this morning with steady rain, reasonably heavy at times.

18.5mm in the manual and 20.2mm in the automatic gauge here, and one of the longest rumbles of thunder I've heard in a long while around 7.30 this morning.

Nearly fell off my chair when I saw the rain just streaming down from the north over Melbourne.

Tank filling nicely now.
L
Luken
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Luken »

I walked outside for my usual morning walk at about 6:55. Few drops falling ground semi-wet. Thought I better tgake the rain jacket....40mins later got homke dripping. Love it! The dog was walking along looking at me with that looks that says, you are an idiot..

Up to approx 20mm since last night. Had a few very close stikes, and a few deafening cracks. Im just near that tower in Mitcham near Melb Water and I reckon it got hit just before. Massive flash , and huge instant BBOOOMMMM!
w
wobbie
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by wobbie »

The dog was walking along looking at me with that looks that says, you are an idiot..
HaHaHa

This rain is the best thing to wake up to after these previous months

Temperature below 18... what a relief!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

33mm so far since 9am yesterday. best daily rainfall since about July/August last year I think off the top of my head. Not sure about storms this afternoon though. Once this clears out, drier air will replace it. Please please please please please stall and move back west.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
C
Cass
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Cass »

Storms woke me up at 3.30 this morning, but on the bright side we have had 35mm till 9.00 this morning .
Looks like more is on the way, hope not much more because the road will then start to flood.
Goes to show we are never happy with what we have .
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Well over 20mm in the manual, 0.0mm according to the AWS, time to clean the spiders out of the sensor again. Got soaked riding home last night, enjoying 2 days off now.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thank you Geoff, your dance worked a treat :banana: :)

Roof is leaking beside my bed, had to put a bucket there.
p
penash
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by penash »

~30mm yesterday evening and the same again from early this morning starting with very heavy rain finishing off with drizzle about 30 mins ago, taking the total to 60mm for 24hrs. Was a lot of water on the road, the kids loved the 'waterski' spray as we drove to school. The amount of debris blocking the drains and gutters is insane. Sky beginning to clear.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Is anyone else struggling to get the image of a naked Geoff out of their head? :sccary:
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Lily!! I totally am! :|
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Reports at home of a lovely 1.4mm, lol, unfortunately missing out again regarding totals, and they are desperate down there. Farms are literally struggling. Hopefully something within the next week or two.

Here at Monash Clayton it's been raining all morning :D Light and then moderate stuff fantastic to hear the rain on the roof! Was woken at about 8am though from a huge boom of thunder! No lightning/thunder activity since. Unsure of totals, what's the closest rain gauge for the BoM to Monash Uni Clayton?

Also currently in the progress of updating the thunderstorm forecast ... standby.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

That's a tough one, Jake. You're just about smack in the middle of a radar (edit: not radar, AWS oops!) "hole" in a way, diagonally between Scoresby and Moorabbin Airport. Moorabbin might be closer? I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone with their own gauge online somewhere around there, if not at the Uni itself, maybe scrounge around online, Stormygirl would be another one who is close-ish to you. Hope it's going well there, we're almost neighbours now :D
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yay neighbours!! :D Thanks for replying Lily. There is someone on here who has a gauge and weather station at the uni which I am watching as well, just was curious about the BoM one's. But than you for looking :) We must catch up soon!

Just finished the AWF thunderstorm forecast for today. Check the bottom of this page for the map, or alternatively go to http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... ecast.html for the actual webpage. Here's the summary nonetheless from the AWF team for today! Day 2 is also up at the above link! :)
THUNDERSTORM FORECAST - DAY 1
Issued at: 11:45 AM Tuesday 26th February 2013.

Discussion for Tuesday:

Areas of rain and isolated non-severe thunderstorms have been occurring through central and eastern parts of Victoria this morning. A trough of low pressure will remain across central Victoria for today. Latest weather guidance this morning continues to suggest that today will be the most active day in-terms of thunderstorm development and spacial extent of the activity. Anywhere across the state will be under a 'chance' threat today. Western districts are likely to only be under a 'chance' threat due to the trough being further east, but as such thunderstorms cannot be ruled out for those areas. 'Likely' areas for development will be about the central and eastern districts and it is these areas as well that are primed for severe thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Thunderstorm motion is expected to be a little quicker compared to Monday, however due to very high moisture levels flash flooding will remain a high risk. Latest data is also indicating that damaging to destructive winds will be a threat in any large thunderstorm cellular formation. Large hailstones will be also a genuine threat today due to the high instability and cooler uppers coupled with large towering thunderstorm heights. As probably noticeable, there is a cloud band currently over central districts (at issue time), however this is likely to move into eastern districts this afternoon. Basically, this means temperatures will rise rather quickly once clear air is evident over central Victoria and overall, the cloud isn't expected to hamper convective development in central parts. The east whilst shown as 'severe likely' may see some restriction in development due to the cloud cover.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

so this band has to clear before anything new will form?

its warm and sunny currently in the wimmera i am told
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

All over here, will check the gauge tonight when I get home for total. Now the wait to see if this cloud actually clears.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Up in the storm breeding ground which is around Charlton, Temp is currently 28c, DP is 20c. But is there a strong enough trigger to kick things off?
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Just had lightning here again. Just like that. Out of nowhere.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes