Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Severe Wind Event - Spring Fronts. Sep 2-8 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: VIC: Severe Wind Event - Spring Fronts. Sep 2-8 2012

Post by Timster »

Timster, not sure about the wolfie - i have a wolfie/lab x and she's a complete sook in any kind of extreme weather, in spite of her 45kg frame - she's been known to beat a door down to get inside in a storm, hey Karl?? ;)
Yeah, the Wolfie is a sook, but in the best possible way! :) She loves people, and just plods along or rests here head on the kitchen bench!! She's just turned 12 months and now 57kg, so not much more growing to do. Currently sound asleep on my side of the bed, while I watch the weather.

... Which by the way is still really howling outside, but not as consistently. Looks we bottomed out on the barometer at 995.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Don't think I've seen so many missed approaches at tulla, Philippine airlines now.

Rhino. :) :)
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Rhino » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 pm wrote:
Rhino wrote:Don't think I've seen so many missed approaches at tulla, Philippine airlines now.

Hi, where are you seeing that, would really love to monitor?

Cheers
Tim
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Yes Rhino, heard that Philipine airlines flight coming over my place about 30 mins ago

Timster, I use http://www.flightradar24.com/ to track local flights, brilliant website

ha yes Timster, my girl is not quite that big thanks to the lab genes, but she certainly has the laid back personality, great with the kiddies. Seriously thinking about a pure breed wolfie, magnificent animals... but 57kg!! that's mad :)

Anyhow, seems to have fallen back a little here, steady 15km/h breeze now for the last 30 mins, temp holding at 16c and baro seems to have leveled out now at 996

No, just had a 55km/h gust, second biggest of the night so far...
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Here Timster, alot on the forum know about it, great site. It's real time to, I watch planes flying over me as I'm watching on the laptop. Also on the left hand side click on cockpit view and see what the pilots seeing in real time. Bloody fantastic. :D

http://www.flightradar24.com/

daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

There's also some great apps available for android and iphone if you have either. I have one my iPad that is brilliant - if you see / hear a plane, hold the device in the direction and it will tell you what plane it is! very nerdy, but oh so cool :)
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Thanks for the tip on flightradar24. Just watched the Philippine flight land. Would be a bumpy arrival, no doubt. I remember when I was learning to fly, landing a piper warrior in 22 kit crosswinds, more than it was rated for, and i have a great deal of respect for the guys bringing in the heavies with hundreds on board. Will be watching a lot more!

The wind seems to be easing up here.... Hope so, couldn't sleep with the racket an hour ago. ... Actually, maybe not... There it goes again.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Strongest gusts of the Night and possibily even Day are coming through here now I see Essendon Airport has just had 85kmh winds just go through there now which is the biggest gust thats come through for both systems there which is what I am getting now
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Yeah they are a little nerdy, got my nephew onto them with his ipad, another planespotter in the making. :) When you click on the plane icon click cockpit view on the left, under the flight data, can really see how the wind is effecting the approaches tonight, almost crabbing there way in with some approaches.

D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another good site

Go right down until you find YMMB/YMML - Melbourne. Live ATC. Plenty of planes going around as been noted above
fortius quo fidelius
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Qantas going around, missed approach, as we speak.

daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

just lost ABC, SBS and 10 for about a minute. must be lively up in the Dandys right now
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

You're not wrong Chris. It's frightening :shock:
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

daviescr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:40 pm wrote:
daviescr wrote:There's also some great apps available for android and iphone if you have either. I have one my iPad that is brilliant - if you see / hear a plane, hold the device in the direction and it will tell you what plane it is! very nerdy, but oh so cool :)
Sounds like something I need. I have a big grin on my face right now watching QF487 trying again!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

When is it going to turn westerly?
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Will generally stay North Westerly most of the night Robyn will turn more WNW Tomorrow then go back to NW Tomorrow Night ahead of the 3rd front Friday morning which will finally send the winds round to WSW. Saw a plane take a strange flight path as it trys to land from the Southern side of the airport 6-7 mins ago may of been that Quantas you guys were talking about
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks johnno. Looks like a sleepless night up here then. No relief till winds turn from NW to WSW
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Definitely easing up here, some rain now, but the wind considerably more reasonable.

Hopefully can get some sleep!
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Very sad to hear on the news this morning about a person killed on Mt Macedon last night after hitting a fallen tree. RIP.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah lucky more were not klilled or injured by debris and trees yesterday. Just vile the conditions were at elevation and in the flats.

Nice rain this morning, with light winds believe it or not. 3mm so far and still going!

Should see the winds shoot up again tonight and become gale force overnight. Then tomorrow we are back to storm force winds IMO with quite a deep WSW flow developing.

Can look forward to 10-20mm for most over the next couple of days, perhaps 30mm in some eastern suburbs, so the rain will come.

Then a nice start to next week!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com